Youth Empowerment and Development Initiative (YEDI) is a not-for-profit organization that delivers evidence-based programs, in schools and communities, designed to build young people's assets, facilitate their access to health services, and promote their adherence to healthy behaviors. Since its inception in 2011, YEDI has benefitted over 220,000 young people in schools and community sites in Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-Ibom, and Ogun State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Hub Coordinator - Health Service Provider
Employment Type: Contract
- The Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health Activity (referred to as YPE4AH) is a five-year (2020 – 2025) USAID funded project implemented YEDI and its partners.
- The primary goal of the project is to improve the health and well-being of urban, underprivileged adolescents aged 15– 19 by increasing voluntary family planning (FP) uptake and continued use—from a holistic, human capital perspective.
- The youth-powered ecosystem centers on Youth Hubs—safe spaces for youth to seek and access FP and reproductive health (RH) information and referrals. YPE4AH will adapt and scale up evidence-based, high-impact SKILLZ curricula, which combine sports and fun-based activities and group sessions led by Youth Coaches/mentors to spur healthy behavior change and shift attitudes for more equitable gender-sensitive norms.
- YEDI seeks to engage Hub Coordinators to oversee Youth Coaches who will deliver the SKILLZ United Curriculum.
- The coordinator will also deliver youth-friendly health services including family planning.
Task & Responsibilities
Technical / Managerial Tasks:
- Under the supervision of the Program Manager/State Coordinator, develop schedule for activities in the Youth Hubs and monitor delivery.
- Responsible for day-to-day monitoring of the use of all assets, equipment, and furniture
- Responsible for coordinating the smooth running of the Hubs: SKILLZ, leadership, livelihood.
- Responsible for providing health-related information/counselling, coordinating Referrals and other services for adolescents in the Hubs.
- Responsible for documentation of all Hub activities into designated tracking tools (collecting and filing service data and collating SKILLZ data from Youth coaches, Hub attendance register, and feedback forms).
- Complete and submit monthly reports using approved monitoring and evaluation templates, including success stories.
- Deliver bi-weekly mentoring sessions for SKILLZ Coaches.
- Support monthly Hub check-in and quarterly learning meetings.
- Monitor participation of Adolescents in interventions by tracking their daily/periodic attendance.
- Collate and supervise the pre-and-post intervention test.
- Monitor and Supervise program delivery for quality, identify gaps, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Monitor completion of deliverables by SKILLZ Coaches.
FP Service Provision:
- Operationalize referral protocols for FP/RH services to out of school adolescents aged 15 – 19.
- Offer group counseling sessions and one-to-one private sessions for Adolescent boys and girls in need FP and other program-related health areas
- Provide contraceptive services to adolescents as appropriate.
- Responsible for the commodity logistic management system of contraceptives and consumables at the hub.
- Maintain all health data collection tools as designed by the project.
- Provide necessary and relevant health-related information to Coaches and the YEDI Team for program purpose.
Other Job-Belated Responsibilities:
- Serve as a link between YPE4AH/YEDI staff and the SKILLZ Coaches
- Be a role model for adolescents in the community by demonstrating best practices for leadership, livelihoods, and accessing/adhering to family planning services.
- Stand against all forms of abuse and exploitation of project participants. A Coach will immediately report any suspicion or acts of abuse to the Hub Coordinator for action and referral.
- Participate in all training activities for the project- SKILLZ, Leadership, M&E.
- Undertake periodic training on US Abortion and FP Requirements, and Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance and Statutory Abortion Restrictions
- Ensure compliance of SKILLZ Coaches with Child Protection policies and Protecting Life in Global Health provision.
- Deliver and facilitate sessions using the YPE4AH SKILLZ curriculum and other curricula as necessary.
- Together with YEDI YPE4AH Program and Training Managers/ State Coordinator, conduct training and refresher training for Coaches on the YPE4AH SKILLZ curriculums.
- Together with the Program Manager/ State Coordinator, lead community engagement efforts including stakeholder engagement, SKILLZ Holiday Camps, community, and mobile health outreaches.
- A certified Nurse, Midwife, or Healthcare provider recognized under the law to offer FP counseling, over the counter and invasive contraceptive methods as well as counseling in other YPE4AH health-related areas.
- 2 - 5 years of work experience.
- Experience in NGO health development programs will be an added advantage.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation or capturing learning for projects.
- Experience designing and implementing programs targeted at adolescents.
- Young at heart with the ability to communicate in a local language preferred by young people.
- Prior experience engaging with young people will be an advantage.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to write concise, analytical, and accurate reports to meet agreed to deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Good negotiation and interpersonal skills, ability to relate well and build a rapport with a diverse range of people.
Application Closing Date
8th August, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume to: [email protected] using "Hub Coordinator-Health Services (Kano State)" as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.