COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED BY THE NIGERIAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION (NDA) AT THE END OF HER 53RD BIENNIAL GENERAL MEETING/ SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCE HELD VIRTUALLY FROM THE LAGOS AIRPORT HOTEL, IKEJA, LAGOS STATE FROM FRIDAY 20TH TO SATURDAY 21ST NOVEMBER, 2020.
The Nigerian Dental Association (NDA) is the professional body representing the interests of all Nigerian Dentists and dedicated to the advancement of the dental profession in Nigeria. NDA is affiliated to Federation Dental International (FDI), African Regional Organization of FDI (ARO) and Common Wealth Dental Association. NDA held her 53rd Biennial General Meeting/Elections which was her 1st virtual meeting/ election at the Lagos Airport Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos state between 20th to 21st November, 2020.
The theme of the Scientific conference was: ‘Patient-centred Dental Care: Preparedness for infection prevention and control; Ethical and Medicolegal concerns. More than 400 participants from within and outside the country took part in the various aspects of the programmes which was declared open by the Chairman of the occasion, a distinguished past President of the Association, Col. Dr. Olujimi Osisanya Rtd.
The immediate past President, Dr Evelyn Eshikena, and the local organizing committee Chairman, Dr. Kolawole Obagbemiro gave their welcome addresses. Goodwill messages were received from notable personalities including the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Prof. (Dr.) Innocent Ujah mni ably represented by the Lagos State NMA Chairman, Dr. Adetunji Adenekan.
The Keynote Speaker, Prof. O.G Uti, delivered the lecture on: Patient centered dental care: preparedness for infection prevention and control; ethical and medicolegal concerns.
Dr. Linda Okoye’s lecture was on Curbing Quackery: Role of the Dentist, Therapist, Technologist and Technician or Nurse. Dr. Francis Badejoko from United States delivered the lecture on Multidisciplinary Breathing Disorders and wellness: Team Approach using Dental Appliances (DNA).
The lecture on Navigating from Tobacco use to cessation of smoking: Resuscitating a Neglected Service in Dental Practice was delivered by Dr. Afolabi Oyapero while Prof. Oluwole Ajagbe from United States delivered the lecture on Tele-Dentistry using Remote Cameras: Mouthwatch for Multidisciplinary Approach to Oral Health.
THE 53rd BIENNIAL GENERAL MEETING
The President welcomed and addressed the congress while highlighting some key achievements of her administration to include: Effective representation of NDA in FDI, CDA, NMA, MDCN and in other oral health and awareness related activities, increase in membership awareness and participation in the affairs of the Association, expansion of the membership of the Board of Trustees (BOT), lobbying and advocacy to increase the NDA membership strength on the MDCN board from two to three, constitutional review committee to address the constitutional need of members which bothered on the rotation of the secretariat among the various zones. Awards were given to the Keynote speaker and other speakers, all outgoing NDA National Officers’ Council members.
- Constitution review: The constitution was deliberated upon with input from various stakeholders in the aspects for corrections.
- Amalgam phasedown targets and timelines: The proposed dates for the phase down of amalgam among vulnerable population (Children and pregnant women) and adults were deliberated upon. It was observed that NDA affiliates have not been participating fully in the affairs of NDA.
- Welfare: It was noted that the Association needed a cooperative society to cater for the welfare of her members.
- NMA building levy: It was observed that there is a court injunction against its collection by MDCN
- Goodwill messages: Members from far and near congratulated the outgoing executives of the Association for the job done.
- The reviewed constitution which allows for the zoning of the NDA Secretariat was adopted at the 53rd BGM and stipulated for use as from 22nd November, 2020.
- 31st January, 2022 and 31st December, 2024 were adopted for phasing out of Amalgam target dates among vulnerable population (Children and pregnant women) and adults respectively. NDA affiliates should participate more in decision making going forward.
- The incoming executives were mandated to set up a committee to come up with modalities of operation and sponsor a smooth take off of the NDA National cooperative society.
- NMA building levy: It was recommended that members should pay their annual license fees while awaiting clarification from NMA during the Awka NEC meeting.
ELECTION INTO THE 2020/2022 EXECUTIVE YEAR OF NDA
The 2018/2020 National Executive Committee was dissolved by the President after conclusion of deliberations and an electoral committee headed by Dr. Donna Umesi was inaugurated. After a peaceful, free and fair electoral process, the following members of the association were elected into the 2020/2022 Executive Council of the Nigerian Dental Association:
President - Dr. Kolawole Obagbemiro
Vice President - Dr. Victor Nwabudike
Secretary General - Dr. Tope E. Adeyemi
Assistant Secretary General - Dr. Ekowmenhenhen U. Idah
Public Relations Officer - Dr. Yetunde Oludare
Treasurer - Dr. Feyisike F. Dauda
Financial Secretary - Dr. Frances O. Nwosisi
Chairman, Products Committee - Dr. Lillian Enone
Chairman, Welfare Committee - Dr. Franklin Abhulimen
Chairman, Research and Scientific Committee - Dr. Raphael A. Njokanma
Chairman, Continuing Dental Education and Practice - Dr. Gbenga O. Arogunre
Chairman, Ethics and Constitution committee - Dr. Martins E. Elias
Editor-in-Chief, Nigerian Dental Journal - Prof. Olubayo A. Fasola
Immediate Past President - Dr. Evelyn O. Eshikena
The President of the NDA, Dr. Kolawole Obagbemiro, the National Officers Committee and the entire membership of the Nigerian Dental Association appreciates the President of NMA represented by Dr. Adetunji Adenekan, past presidents of NDA (Drs. Oluwarotimi and Ijarogbe) for their physical presence while maintaining COVID-19 prevention protocols. We also express our profound gratitude to our distinguished resource persons, all past presidents of NDA, elders of the dental profession, dental Practitioners of all cadres, members of dental team, Oral Care Product Manufacturers/Partners and gentlemen of the press who contributed immensely to the success of the 53rd Biannual General Meeting and 1st Virtual meeting/Election.
Long Live Nigerian Dental Association!
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria!!
Dr. Obagbemiro, Kolawole
Dr. Adeyemi, Tope E.