Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for - and respond to - crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Specialist
Location: Minna, Niger
- The Accelerated Nutrition Results in Nigeria (ANRiN) project aims to increase the utilization of quality, cost-effective nutrition services for pregnant and lactating women, adolescent girls and children under five years in Nigeria. The World Bank-funded programme will be implemented across selected states through community-based nutrition services. In Niger State, there will also be an additional element of the provision of adolescent health services.
- The project will be implemented by Plan International Nigeria in collaboration with the State Ministry of Health, State Primary Health Care Development Agency, local CSO partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- The Nutrition Specialist will be responsible for providing overall technical support to the design and implementation of basic package of nutrition services in one of the states where Plan International will be implementing the ANRiN programme.
Dimensions of the Role
The dimension of this role includes:
- Provide strategic and operational advice and support to the Project team and partners in the technical delivery of the nutrition component.
- Member of the Project Management Team.
- Support the process of programme design, including design of detailed programme activities and budget
- Provide technical advice to the programme management and implementation team throughout the programme cycle
- Oversee the implementation of programme activities from the technical point of view to ensure delivery of a high-quality programme
- Support partners by providing advice on technical aspects during the programme implementation
- Support the programme management team during meetings with various stakeholders, including government officials, donor representatives, consortium members, partner organizations, media and others.
- Regularly utilize project level data, to track progress against planned service delivery outputs and outcomes, and manage performance.
- Support the process of programme evaluation by contributing to the design of M&E indicators of success/ tools and methodology
- Contribute to programme procurement process by offering technical advice, if/ as needed
- Contribute to donor reporting updates
- Lead on knowledge management development and dissemination
- Support programme communication team by providing on technical aspects of the project, as needed
- Join cluster meetings in nutrition and relevant working groups as required
- Support regular advocacies to local stakeholders to improve and sustain project buy-in and operations.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of good working relationship with the relevant State actors, local government authorities and other stakeholders.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Master's Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (Public Health / Nutrition) with minimum of 5 years of experience
- Demonstrated experience of working on nutrition related issues with multi-sectoral teams in developing countries. Experience from African countries will be an asset
- Familiarity with analytical tools and ability to translate theoretical concepts into practical approaches for operational work
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) in English. Knowledge of other Nigerian languages will be an asset
- Applied technical knowledge in thematic area of Nutrition. Knowledge of Maternal, New born, Child and Adolescent Health (MNCAH) and/ or Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR) would be an advantage
- Significant experience implementing or advising large-scale, consortium-led, multi-year nutrition programmes in challenging contexts, ideally in Nigeria
- Strong relationships with nutrition sector specialists and relevant government offices in Nigeria would be an advantage
- Experience in capacity building of CSOs partnering in large nutrition projects
- Experience in contributing to robust M&E and Learning frameworks for nutrition programmes
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse sets of stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, local and international staff
- Ability to represent project to various audiences including senior government officials and donor representatives
- Strong communication skills, including advanced report writing skills
- Experience and knowledge of the cross-sectional thematic areas of gender and safeguarding
- Nigerian national with the ability to articulate and demonstrate a strong understanding of the contextual challenges faced by communities in Nigeria
Application Closing Date
26th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted