Youth Development and Empowerment Initiative (YEDI) is a not-for-profit organization that delivers evidence-based programs, in schools and communities, designed to build young people's assets, facilitate their access to health services, and promote their adherence to healthy behaviors. Since its inception in 2011, YEDI has benefitted over 220,000 young people in schools and community sites in Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-Ibom, and Ogun State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Outreach Officer
Employment Type: Temporary
- The Youth-Powered Ecosystem to Advance Urban Adolescent Health Activity (referred to as YPE4AH) is a five-year (2020 – 2025) USAID-funded project implemented YEDI and its partners.
- The primary goal of the project is to improve the health and well-being of urban, underprivileged adolescents aged 15–19 by increasing voluntary family planning (FP) uptake and continued use—from a holistic, human capital perspective.
- The youth-powered ecosystem centers on Youth Hubs—safe spaces for youth to seek and access FP and reproductive health (RH) information and referrals.
- YPE4AH will adapt and scale up evidence-based, high-impact SKILLZ curricula, which combine sports and fun-based activities and group sessions led by Youth Coaches/mentors to spur healthy behaviour change and shift attitudes for more equitable gender-sensitive norms.
Task & Responsibilities
Field level implementation:
- Plan and coordinate community outreaches to be delivered by Youth Coaches in program LGAs.
- Monitor and supervise the implementation of all community outreaches.
- Build capacity of Youth Coaches in the correct use of the community discussion guide and other work tools.
- Integrate all community outreach activities into the Hub master plan by providing updates and lessons as they arise.
- Attend all monthly review meetings at the Hub address general issues as well as build capacity on common gaps identified as a team.
Advocacy and Stakeholder Engagement:
- To liaise and network with community leaders to develop effective relationships to meet outreach targets
- Work in close cooperation with relevant government officials like the LGA social mobilization officers, community gatekeepers, local NGOs, host population; organize appropriate activities within the community to drive awareness and participation amongst the youth population of the target communities.
- Communicate program updates to communities working closely with government, counterparts, and community representatives.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports for each Hub to immediate supervisor.
- Report any progress and any problems in a timely manner to the immediate supervisor.
- Develop and share success stories/best practices related to community engagement.
- Any other duties appropriate to the role as required by the Program manager.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Social and Behavioural Sciences or related fields.
- At least 2-3 years working experience in community mobilization, preferably in SRH (Sexual reproductive Health) functional skills.
- Experience of working with young people on sensitive topics including family planning, sexual and reproductive health, gender-based violence, etc.
- Experience working with communities, and community structures, hosting community sensitizations and dialogues.
- Ability to communicate in the local language.
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Self-motivated with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are a must and a good sense of humour.
- Good organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to write concise, analytical, and accurate reports to meet agreed deadlines.
N220,000 - N250,000 monthly.
Application Closing Date
27th November, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and Resume to: [email protected] using "Outreach Officer - Kano" as the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.