Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI has been implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition, health and protection project in Maiduguri and Borno State.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: PHC Health Supervisor
Locations: Monguno, Borno
Nationality: For Nigeria Nationals only
Number of Position: 03
Contract Start Date: 20th June 2022
- Under the direct supervision of the Health Deputy Project manager, the Health Supervisor provides patients management in collaboration with Nurses, Midwives and other team members.
- S/he follows PUI protocols and standards to ensure quality and continuity of care, promotion and restoration of health of the patients and population, ensure supervision of care.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Monitoring and Supervision:
- Ensure consultations and nursing duties organization, including triage, dressings, injections, and distribution of drugs according to nurses’ protocols, precautions, hygiene standards, and clinicians’ prescriptions.
- Plan, organize and ensure the implementation of all sexual and reproductive health activities including ANC, PNC, family planning, delivery, vaccination, and laboratory.
- Verify on daily basis in that the consultation rooms are provided with necessary equipment and consumables.
- Provide technical support to the STH staff for to diagnoses and manage cases.
- Assist midwives in the management of the referral cases.
- Assist the staffs during certain health care acts if necessary
- Evaluate the quality of consultations by assessing midwives and midwife assistants once-twice a month
- Ensure the SGBV survivors are handled with confidentiality and the record properly secured as designed by PUI
- Verify on a daily basis that the consultation rooms are provided with necessary equipment and consumables.
- Ensure that newborn babies are correctly monitored from delivery to discharge and that all pregnant women and new-born are referred to the expanded program on immunization (EPI)
- Provide technical support to the clinician for diagnoses and management cases.
- Assist the clinicians in the management of the referral cases.
- Ensure that health education according to the protocols and key messages are well provided.
- Evaluate the quality of consultations by assessing clinicians once or twice/month.
- Propose any implementation of medical protocols, update it if necessary, and ensure that the medical staff follow it.
- Monitor the rational use of medicines and the proper administration of treatments in step with national international protocols.
- Ensure smooth implementation and integration of services among the health team and other PUI sector team (MHPSS, nutrition, food security, protection).
Drugs and Medical Equipment:
- Ensure that PHC is properly supplied with materials and drugs.
- Prepare drugs and materials requests in collaboration with the team, DPM and SRH supervisor.
- Ensure that expiry dates of drugs are checked.
- Ensure that drugs and materials storage respect standard rules (hygiene, notification, stock cards…)
- Ensure that the medical material is clean and sterilized.
- Plan monthly schedule for the OPD and SRH team member with DPM and PHC in charge, and follow up.
- Manage staff timetable, annual leaves, and attendance sheets.
- Organize team work regarding team capacity in order to cover all PHC needs.
- Ensure the respect of Première Urgence Internationale rules and inform the DPM of any disrespect of the rules.
- Participate in the regular evaluation of medical staff in collaboration with the DPM.
- Organize and monitor the waste management according to the waste management procedures
- Ensure that the work place is clean.
- Support the OPD and SRH teams in its daily work.
- Ensure that all administrative procedures and documents (individual patient cards and registration book, referral form, death report from etc.) And existing data management tools are used correctly.
- Schedule regular meetings with OPD and SRH staff to communicate updates and raise challenges encountered by the team.
- Ensure that all patients are treated equally with respect of ethical and confidential issues and Première Urgence Internationale charter
- Work in close collaboration with the deputy health program manager and report all his/her activities, observations and needs
- Debrief any new PUI or MOH staff of the PHC system and regulations.
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Supervise the data collection:
- Medical prescription (readable, dated and signed)
- Epidemiological data
- Drugs and medical materials consumption
- General information about the people living conditions
- Ensure the archiving the documents, tools and training materials in the context of project/s and ensures the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the proposals.
- Ensure training of the medical team in collaboration with the Health DPM
- Ensure training of awareness team in collaboration with Health PM
- Assess the training needs of the staff
- Assess the level of knowledge after the trainings.
- Be the focal point in the PHC with external partners. Explain how the PHC works, difficulties faced, and strengths.
- Ensure verbal and written hand over at every duty shift to the team and emphasize on specific events.
- Translates documents and/or interprets conversation when necessary.
- Participate actively in meetings as required.
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey, etc. According to the needs
- Report to the Health DPM or Health PM any problem in the clinic especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Comply with PUI security procedures at all times.
- Remain aware of the security situation in office and clinic locations at all times and provide feedback to the health program manager.
- Be available for any emergency.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Prioritities of the Department
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in pui health facility
- Scale up on the primary health care facility plan should be developed according to the time frame
- Assessment on beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases, other diseases of public health relevant and treat him/her
- Build the capacity of the community Health workers, nurses, nurse assistants, midwives, registrar on thematic related to health
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factors
- Build capacity of community health workers, nurses, midwives on themes related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health – morbidity patterns observed in the facility that require further assessment
- Ensure all data for the week from the opd consultations and srh department are submitted every friday and monday via comcare respectively without failure.
- report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention.
- Registered Nurse / Registered Midwife with valid practicing licenses for Nursing and Midwifery from the Nursing/Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
- At least 3 years of experience in Nursing & Midwifery, staff supervision and experience with INGOs.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing), fluent in local language Hausa and good knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of Communicable and Non Communicable diseases
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good knowledge about ante-natal and post-natal consultation
- Good knowledge about the practice of monitoring Labour and conducting deliveries
- Good knowledge of neonatal care
- Good ability for team work
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Good reporting skills
- Good team spirit
- Good management skills
- Working in humanitarian relief
- Understanding of the political situation in the area.
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
26th May 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.