INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Manager - Multisector (Health, Nutrition, Wash, Protection)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting Date: 21/12/2021
Contract Duration: 9 Months
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator
Supervision of: About 10 national staff, with a team of about 200 staff
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- As an implementing partner to USAID-OFDA, INTERSOS has been active in Borno State since 2017, in particular: - Bama, Dikwa, Ngala, Magumeri and Monguno Local Government Areas (LGAs), to address the unmet needs of the most vulnerable in these locations because the situation is continuing to worsen. INTERSOS is presently implementing the third round of USAID-OFDA funded project titled “Provision of Emergency Health Care, Nutrition, Protection and WaSH Services, for people affected by the ongoing crisis in Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Magumeri and Monguno LGAs, Borno State, Northeast Nigeria” that supports at least 213,183 most vulnerable children, women, and individuals affected by the ongoing crisis, across those five LGAs in Borno State.
- The support is through the provision of integrated multisectoral lifesaving services and basic essential needs under health, nutrition, WaSH and protection sectors.
General Purpose of the Position
- To provide full managerial and technical leadership and responsibility for the operational planning, implementation, monitoring, accountability and reporting -- including procurement, selection of staff, and financial supervision of expenditures against target activities.
- S/he will support training and will supervise all the activities in the field locations.
- S/he is responsible for regular donor reporting and attends technical coordination meetings, the incumbent work under the overall supervision of the Country Programmes Coordinator, and very close liaison with the Medical Coordinator, Protection Coordinator and WaSH Coordinator for technical support.
- S/he will need to coordinate effectively with logistics, human resources, finance, security, and the MEAL departments to ensure that field operations are implemented with the least possible interruptions.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
The PM manages, coordinates and supervises the projects staff for the operational planning of activities and services, ensuring timely and quality implementation and monitoring in compliance with relevant Standard Operating Procedures, International Principles, and Guidelines as well as INTERSOS Fundamental Charter and Code of Ethics.
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating the implementation of the multisectoral projects, ensuring timely and quality delivery of services as per approved proposals, work plans, and budgets.
- Ensure, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations, and international humanitarian standards (such as SPHERE) the management of the projects
- Conduct regular field visits to assess program quality and progress toward objectives, facilitate collective problem solving with staff and other stakeholders to address challenges
- Monitoring financial supervision of expenditures an appropriate budget management
- Coordinating with the finance and logistic department to procure material necessary for the implementation of the activities in a timely manner to ensure adequate supply at the intervention sites
- Plan and distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their understanding of the issues linked to the Project and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the capital promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow, and ensure confidentiality and full compliance with security rules and medical ethics
- Supervise the projects material resources put at INTERSOS ’s disposition in order to ensure correct use and longevity
- Supervise all orders (medical and logistical) and the Project’s purchases as well as the financial indicators, with the support of the capital referents, in order to ensure efficiency, adequate supply at the intervention sites, and early detect deviations and their causes.
- Ensure appropriate budget management
- Monitor the risks and threats around the project(s), documenting the situation and analyzing the consequences of political decisions or negotiations in the course
- Proactively participate in relevant technical coordination meetings and working groups.
- Support the mission in designing high-quality projects that integrate WaSH, health, nutrition, and protection.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance to the medical team, both for the Mobile Team and the staff in the static facilities.
- Be responsible for the proper application of HR policies and associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential, detection, staff’s development, and internal communication) in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activities he/she is accountable for
- Identify training needs, provide individual follow-up and coaching, carry out the end-of-mission evaluation of the team members and lead internal communication initiatives in order to facilitate people’s integration and professional development and to maximize their capabilities and commitment to the project’s goals.
- Ensure that internal performance reviews (IPRs) are completed for all projects staff and filed with the HR as per INTERSOS policies.
- Developing regular reports, including donor reporting and the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT) and sitreps are completed in time, and supported with accurate data
- Ensuring accurate data collection and reporting are submitted in a timely manner for all activities within the project
- Elaborate the Project’s institutional memory, keeping written records (and filing them) on its development.
- University Degree or equivalent level in Public Health disciplines, Social Sciences or similar.
- Desirable Degree / Master’s in project management.
- At least 5 years of significant international experience in similar positions in the humanitarian INGO sector.
- Extensive working experiences in Project Cycle Management.
- Solid knowledge of budgeting and multi-donor grants
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial monitoring and reporting tools
- Experience working in security hostile environments.
- Proficient knowledge of Sphere and other international guidelines and standards in humanitarian emergencies.
- Experience in working with IDPs or refugees.
- Professional requirements
- Technically strong in PCM and public health background.
- Ability to make accurate and evidence-based decisions and guide activities of teams.
- Ability to deliver multiple projects within timelines.
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Ability to deliver high-quality work in short periods of time and to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Willingness to accept basic living standards and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
Knowledge of the local context of North Nigeria is not necessarily desirable.
- Excellent team-working and team-building skills, as well as the ability to work under high pressure and with flexibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate into a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently as well as being a strong team player
- Flexibility, and capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required
- General Conditions - Type of duty station (Non-family duty station)
- Remuneration - According to position and seniority.
- Transportation - Round-trip flight. For any mission lasting at least 12 months, at 9 months one free plane ticket to the Country of residency and back to the mission for the humanitarian worker
- Medical insurance - Medical Insurance; reimbursement for vaccines, medical certificate and PCR test for deployment; psychosocial support on request
- Visa - Visas
- Annual leave - 2.5 days per month
- Installation costs - N/A
- School fees - N/A
- Induction - Online orientation course.
INTERSOS applies a “Learning & Development Policy” which includes the possibility to receive capacitation and to participate in internal and external training. Priority will be given to Staff working for INTERSOS for more than two years.
Staff with a seniority >2 with a demonstrated good performance and high commitment will be invited to be part of the INTERSOS Pool and to create their “Personal Development Plan”.
They will be then accompanied individually by the Personnel Development Coordinator to shape their capacity-building plan.
The categorization of Family, Non-Family, and Accompanied Duty stations is subject to security criteria:
- General Condition - Accommodation
- Shared Guesthouse
- General Condition - R&R
- 6 days of R&R each 12 weeks + 600$ allowance.
Application Closing Date
9th December, 2021
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: