INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Manager - ECHO COVAX
Job Code: SR-49-2471
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Duty Station: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Starting Date: 30th June, 2022
Contract Duration: 8 Months
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator
Supervision of: Project Officers, LGA Supervisors
Dependents: Non-family duty station
General Context of the Project
- Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled northeastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs).
- Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno but have also revealed the extent of the crisis.
- In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
- In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing 10 projects addressing critical gaps in Health, Nutrition, WASH, Protection, Food Security, Livelihoods, and Camp Coordination and Camp Management services for a highly vulnerable population in the accessible host communities in of Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumeri, Konduga, and Maiduguri Metropolitan Center, Borno State, Nigeria.
General Purpose of the Position
- The Project Manager will ensure planning and delivery of all components of INTERSOS Nigeria COVAX Project as a key component of the COVID19 response project funded by ECHO and facilitate a coherent approach to INTERSOS Nigeria COVID19 overall response.
- S/he will serve as INTERSOS Nigeria focal point for activities related to COVAX project as a key component of the COVID-19 preparedness and response.
The COVAX Project Manager will:
- Attend relevant meetings at national and/or field level,
- Collect feedback and provide input and guidance on national guidelines
- Ensure good coordination between the different INTERSOS staff and teams involved in COVID-19 preparedness and response activities
- Provide strategic direction, in collaboration with the INTERSOS Medical Coordinator, Country Director, WASH Manager, other health partners and State-based health working groups on INTERSOS engagement in COVID-19 preparedness activities
- Coordinate and implement COVAX and COVID-19 preparedness activities and
- Help coordinate responses on coordination with health IPC programming in static project sites
- He/she will support emergency response interventions specific to COVID-19 response.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the teams and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate and proactively engage in COVAX - COVID-19 preparedness coordination meetings and working groups at State, National and field level. Provide summary notes off all external meetings for relevant internal stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver training on COVID-19 preparedness to INTERSOS staff.
- Proactively network with clusters and health and WASH agencies to identify opportunities to collaborate.
- Review and update relevant Project Agreements, and Memorandum of Understanding.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the project teams and other support teams (Logistics, Human Resources, Finance, Field Base).
- Provide updates during various meetings such as advisor’s and management, or any other ad hoc meetings.
- In coordination with the Country Staff Health Focal Point, assess the need for and contribute towards the design and implementation of in-country COVID-19-related staff health protocols and procedures.
- Manage COVID-19 and COVAX preparedness activities, alongside the relevant field PM and PC, to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- React quickly to crisis and organize & implement appropriate assessments and responses.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a COVAX INTERSOS Cross-Country strategy and a harmonized COVID-19 preparedness and response strategy.
- Continuously monitor and supervise COVID-19 preparedness and response activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact. Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Participate in the development of interventions and new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Reach out to other actors to find those who can respond to needs which go beyond resources of INTERSOS.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Support in developing and implementing the ECHO COVAX project monitoring and evaluation plan, and timely submission of reports and other document requirements.
- Provide feedback on project implementation modality and assist in achieving maximum efficiency in project delivery. Undertake regular participatory monitoring and verification visits to ensure adequate progress against action plans, outputs and ensuring that quality elements are signed off. Provide advice on any corrective action necessary.
- Train relevant staff on various aspects of COVAX management and coverage, COVID-19 preparedness, IPC, etc., in line with established SOPs.
- Compile and manage, and make available, relevant information related to COVAX, COVID-19 for staff access.
- Support development of INTERSOS- (tailored) training curriculum, PowerPoint slides, IEC materials etc.
- Support the development of a COVAX – COVID 19 images database, including IEC/BCC material validated and used by INTERSOS Nigeria and partners.
Quality Management/Project Design:
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to INTERSOS Nigeria, ECHO and international guidelines, in conjunction with Medical Coordinator.
- Contribute towards setting objectives of COVAX project, emergency COVID-19-related health/WASH assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future plans and changes.
- Improve the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Work with the logistics and supply chain department to ensure stock, purchase requests, cash forecasts and movement requests are submitted.
- Support the logistics activities of health and WASH staff, in relation to the purchasing of COVID-19 related supplies, etc. Liaise with the health, WASH and logistics staff to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
- Support the Head of Base in ensuring proper social distancing and other preparedness measures are implemented in area of operations.
- Management of the Project budget and ensure project reporting conforms to donor rules and regulations.
- Management of direct reports (including development, performance, and recruitment)
- Support and mentor team members by identifying clear deliverables and providing training and coaching
- Support and monitor program staff planning of activities.
Required Profile and Experience
An Advanced Degree in Public Health related field or another appropriate degree with a combination of working experience in public health outbreaks such as Ebola, Lassa Fever, Cholera etc.
- At least 5 years’ proven experience in project management: planning, implementing and evaluating emergency-related projects.
- Thorough knowledge of health emergencies operations and implementation.
- Highly self-driven while striving for perfection under minimum supervision.
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context**Professional Requirements**
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate INTERSOS’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
English Language, with knowledge of Hausa and/Kanuri an added advantage.
A focused, organised individual who is a teamplayer able to operate under stressful environments.
- Salary: According to position and seniority
- Accommodation: Shared Guesthouse
- General conditions - R&R (6 days of R&R each 12 weeks + 600$ allowance)
- 2.5 days leave per month
- Round-trip flight. For any mission lasting at least 12 months, at 9 months one free plane ticket to the Country of residency and back to the mission for the humanitarian worker.
- Medical Insurance; reimbursement for vaccines, medical certificate and PCR test for deployment; psychosocial support on request.
- Induction: Online orientation course
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Notes 1: INTERSOS applies a “Learning & Development Policy” which includes the possibility to receive capacitation and to participate in internal and external training. Priority will be given to Staff working for INTERSOS for more than two years. Staff with a seniority >2 with a demonstrated good performance and high commitment will be invited to be part of the INTERSOS Pool and to create their “Personal Development Plan”. They will be then accompanied individually by the Personnel Development Coordinator to shape their capacity-building plan.
- Notes 2: The categorization of Family, Non-Family, and Accompanied Duty stations is subject to security criteria.