Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Surgeon
Job Code: MD01505
Locations: Shinkafi & Zurmi, Zamfara
Contract: 208 working hours per month
Vacancy Start Date: 23rd January 2023
Contract Period: 6 months (With possibility of extension)
Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols (antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency surgical intervention following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend emergency room when required.
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality.
- Put in place the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse and run role hospital practical rehearsals, in order to ensure the continuity of the services under any circumstance.
- In collaboration with the nurse anesthetist and support of manager and pharmacy supervisor, carry out pharmacy related activities (stock control, OT re-stocking, inventories, expired drugs, etc.) and other equipment of anesthetic support, doing special follow-up of narcotics and sedatives (register, consumptions, empty vials, etc.), ensuring enough stock-up and the good functioning to carry-out the medical activities.
- Training other medical staff when applicable and working particularly in close collaboration with the ER department and SRH team in the maternity department (especially to resuscitate new-borns).
- Carrying out administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients’ folders, statistics, data base, etc.), in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activities.
- Engage the use of telemedicine and promote its use with the other staff.
Essential: Degree in Medicine with speciality in Surgery
- Essential: 2-4 years cognate experience as a surgeon.
- Essential: Experience with MSF or other International NGOs in Developing countries, experience working in an international environment.
Mission language essential, knowledge of local language, an asset.
Essential: Computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet, others).
Gross Monthly Salary
According to MSF National Salary Scale.
Application Closing Date
6th February 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Note: MSF Encourages Women and People with Disabilities to Apply.