Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: Nurse
Location: Anka, Zamfara
Job Type: Indefinite
Employment Type: Full-time
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
Providing nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population and following MSF values and principles.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high hygiene standards in their working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organising and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and being aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are correctly received and installed and those lacking autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurses, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary
- Sending material to be sterilised and recuperating it from sterilisation
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (filling in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed.
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock take of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alerting the supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under their supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
MSF Section / Context-Specific Accountabilities
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to all nursing environments (inpatient, outpatient, therapeutic feeding program, IPD etc):
- Ensure the working environment is well organised with correct supplies and equipment available (for outreach activities, ensure this is packed into the car in advance of departure)
- Observe IPC procedures: follow the five moments of Hand Hygiene and appropriate glove use; clean and disinfects materials after each patient use; ensure the contaminated waste (including needles and other sharps) is separated and managed according to waste segregation protocols.
- Ensuring medical and nutritional care is appropriately delivered to the patients according to MSF protocols.
- Ensure all invasive procedures are completed following aseptic techniques.
- Ensures all patients have anthropometric measurements completed, and if appropriate, ensure the patient is registered for a therapeutic feeding program.
- Collection and updating patient admission and exit numbers in the working area every shift.
- Orientate patients and caretakers to the hospital environment, including delivering health education, information about the patient’s condition, and discharge teaching.
- Identify children who are eligible for vaccination and refer them as appropriate
- Ensure medication is stored and administered correctly according to guidelines (open vial policy, cold chain, Nursing Guideline etc).
- Monitors and records the consumption of medical materials, drugs and supplies and prepares the daily order in collaboration with the nursing team supervisor.
- Ensure the resuscitation kit is prepared with all necessary stock
- Ensures no material is taken out of nursing areas without prior authorisation
- Reports any problematic situations and problems to the nursing team supervisor.
- Participate in all pieces of training delivered to the department and make an ongoing effort to maintain and update medical knowledge and skills.
- Be flexible to cover the other nursing departments as the project's needs require.
- Collaborate tactfully and professionally in the team environment with nurses, doctors, patients, caretakers, and all other team members.
- If supporting patient referral outside Anka, monitor the patient's condition throughout the transportation, then hand over all information to the referral nurse. Also, ensure to prepare equipment before departure and return it at the end of the referral.
The following specific accountabilities are relevant to the therapeutic feeding program:
- In outreach sites: Carry out children consultations by undertaking a complete clinical examination looking for associated pathologies, and arranging appropriate prescriptions according to MSF protocols (including referral for admission or emergency management).
- Ensure all TFC children undergo appetite testing according to protocol, and all TFC-specific paperwork and forms are used and completed correctly
- Provide required vaccinations
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma and valid practicing license
- Desirable Bachelor in Science of Nursing
- Previous clinical experience
- Desirable 2 years of previous clinical experience in MSF or other NGO
Fluent in English (verbal/ written) and Hausa (verbal) is a must
Results and Quality Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, Behavioural Flexibility, Commitment to MSF Principles and Stress Management
NGN 269,000.00 / Month
Application Closing Date
31st March, 2023; 5:00 PM
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
And submit their CV, Cover Letter, Licenses and necessary credentials only to: [email protected] using "Nurse" only as the subject of the email.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted.
- No Transportation and Allowance will be provided during the recruitment process
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.