Direct Consulting and Logistics (DCL) is a Limited Liability Company established by public health specialists, environmentalists, and educationists who desire to see a healthy, prosperous and peaceful Nigeria. DCL's vision is to lead the delivery of sustainable public health outcomes in Nigeria. The organization's mission is to be a world-class social enterprise building strong collaborations and human capacity to deliver high-quality research, efficient program execution, and innovative solutions to improve public health systems' performance along the value chain. DCL implements and manages the Johns Hopkins International Vaccine Access Centre (IVAC) projects in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate
Location: Maitama, Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Contract
Support: Operations Research
Duration: Six months
Overview of the role
- The successful applicant will serve as a Research Associate at DCL. He/She will support implementing multiple research activities and programmatic activities at DCL within and outside Nigeria.
- He/She will work closely with the Principal Investigators, Technical Manager, and project team members to contribute to activities.
- This includes developing research design; data collection, analysis, visualization; development of written reports and other project documents, development of presentations,and project organization and management. The successful candidate will represent DCL at meetings where necessary.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Research implementation, communication, and application of research findings:
- Contribute to the development of study protocols, data tools (quantitative and qualitative including electronic data tools using ODK, KOBO, EpiInfo, etc.), and M&E plans
- Coordinate the implementation of high-quality, technically sound research activities as approved in the IRB and other relevant research useful practice guidelines.
- Develop an approach and conduct literature reviews, stakeholder consultations, and other desk-review activities.
- Coordinate and support the implementation of research activities, including study site visits, project partner interactions, data collectors training, and data collection (including data cleaning and management).
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data analysis using appropriate statistical software, e.g. Atlas ti, NIVO, SPSS, Stata, R, etc.
- Contribute to developing project reports and other dissemination materials, including presentations, technical briefs, and manuscripts.
- Manage key stakeholders including funders, government officials, and implementing partners
- Support the Technical Manager and the project team to liaise with implementing partners on research-related activities to ensure a smooth and appropriate collaboration.
- Represent DCL at meetings, conferences, workshops, etc.
- Provide other technical support as needed
Minimum of a Masters level qualification in a relevant field such as Public Health, Epidemiology, etc.
- At least four (4) years of work experience, 3 of which should be post-graduate experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership
- Knowledge in the field of immunization linked with maternal and child health, including infection prevention and vaccine programming is an added advantage
- Experience managing and implementing public health research activities
- Experience with qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods research methodologies
- Experience designing and using electronic data collection software (e.g., ODK, KOBO, etc.)
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data analysis, visualization, and reporting
- Experience in strategy development, planning, and project implementation
- Experience working and communicating with government officials and multilateral organizations would be an asset
- Excellent writing, oral communication, and presentation skills, including effective communication of results through data visualization to audiences of varying technical backgrounds
- Demonstrated analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving skills
- High levels of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently in unstructured settings and to adapt to new environments and challenges
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, tenacity, patience, humility, and strong work ethic skills
- Proven record of working effectively within a team
- Willingness to travel 10% of the time
- Analytical and technical competence in public health or closely related domains
- Knowledge of research methodologies
- Ability to understand and work with qualitative and quantitative data (e.g. formative studies, ethnographic studies, household and phone surveys, RCTs, etc.)
- Ability to conduct literature reviews and systematically synthesize information.
- Understanding of field data collection in remote areas and associated challenges
- Fluency in data analysis using appropriate statistical software
- Ability to use different project design approaches, and their customization to specific cultural contexts
- Ability to visualize and communicate data and research outcomes for different audiences, orally and writing
People and Project Leadership Skills:
- Flexible and goal-oriented
- Ability to take the initiative, prioritize, problem solve, work on multiple assignments, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to liaise with team members and implementing partners to deliver high-quality results under short deadlines
- Skilled with organization, planning, and time management
- Comfortable being in the field to conduct research, including interacting with project partners and visiting both urban and rural areas
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work alone and in a team setting.
What DCL Offers
- Flexible working environment.
- Friendly and intellectually stimulating working environment
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send as one document their CV and a Cover Letter detailing their suitability and experience to: [email protected] using the "Research Associate Application" as the subject of the email.