Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into post graduate programmes in the 2021/2022 academic year leading to the award of Post Graduate Diploma, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degrees of the University of Calabar.
Courses may be offered full-time or part-time. All programmes begin with course work and end with a project for Post Graduate Diploma, MBA, MPA and MPAS or thesis for Master's and dissertation for Ph.D degrees.
1. Duration of Programme: For full-time studies the Post Graduate Diploma lasts for two (2) semesters, The Masters degrees last for 4 semesters; and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programmes last for 6 semesters.
For part-time programmes, the Masters degrees last for 6 semesters, the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph D) lasts for 10 semesters.
Note that PGD programmes run on full-time basis only.
2. Requirements for Admission: Candidates are required to have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5-point scale and 2.50 on a 4-point scale for Master's programmes and 3.50 on a 5-point scale and 3.00 on a 4-point scale for the Ph.D programmes. A Third class degree pass and above is required for PGD programmes. However, candidates with HND can as well apply. Candidates with Master's degree from universities recognized by University of Calabar senate may credit the relevant courses towards the Ph.D programme, provided that the quality of the grade is acceptable to the Postgraduate School.
Note: Filling of forms - Surnames first, First name next, Middle name last.
There will be no changes made after submission of application forms online. Therefore candidates must think through before submission as any change will attract a fee. This is to prevent multiple applications. The titles Mr, Miss or Mrs may be used but not Rev(Dr). Chief. etc. Programmes applied for should be Ph.D, M.A, M.Ed. M.Sc, MPH, LLM, Masters/PhD and PGD. No extension of application after 31st of March 2022. The website will be shut down on 31st of March 2022.
3. MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates are to first log on to our website: www.unicalonline.edu.ng or click here to access and download the prospectus for the complete description of available courses. Thereafter, candidates are required to pay a non-refundable fee of 25,000.00 at any bank nationwide via E-Transact platform for Postgraduate School application form 2021/2022 academic session. A printout with a unique PIN will be issued at the bank.
Candidates will then enter their unique PIN and their mobile phone numbers on www.unicalonline.edu.ng/admissions to access the form. Follow the steps by providing your data as prompted and ensure that your form is submitted.
YOU ARE TO PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR FORM AND CONCEPT NOTE, BY CLICKING ON PRINT button after submission. Please bring a copy of the printed form to the venue on the day of the screening. Process Flow of E-Scratch Card for UNICAL Postgraduate Application
- Walk into any bank across the federation and make payment on E-Transact platform to purchase Postgraduate School application form for 2021/2022 academic session.
- Make a payment of 25.00000 and obtain the payment slip.
- Go online to MAY. unicalonlineedu.ng/admissions
- Log on with the generated pin on the payment slip to fill the Postgraduate form.
4. CONCEPT NOTE
As part of the application, candidates are expected to submit a CONCEPT NOTE of 2 pages maximum for Ph.D programmes and one (1) page maximum for Master's programmes. The concept note will be typed online in a space provided in the form and printed out for submission to the department. The concept note is a MINI SUMMARY OF RESEARCH PROPOSAL highlighting what candidates intend to research on when admitted. It will have to cover the following:
- Statement of the problem
- Relevance of study to self and society
- Aim(s) of the study
- Brief theoretical background
Note: Candidates who fail to send their concept notes online along with their application forms will not be allowed to take part in the oral interview.
Candidates are to ensure that their academic transcripts are forwarded by their previous institutions through courier service to the Academic Secretary, Postgraduate School, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Cross River State, ON OR BEFORE THE DEADLINE INDICATED BELOW. ALL TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL ON OR BEFORE THE SCREENING DAY.
Candidates whose transcripts are not received in the Graduate School by APRIL 15, 2022, shall NOT BE CONSIDERED FORADMISSION.
There will be no room for awaiting results (all applicants whose results have not been approved by the Postgraduate School Board/University Senate will not be considered for admission).
6. ADMISSION SCREENING EXERCISE
Admission Screening Day
All candidates are also expected to take part in the admission screening exercise which takes place on Friday 8th April, 2022 for MBA. MPAS, and all PGD candidates While Saturday 9th April, 2022 is for Masters and Ph.D candidates.
The screening test will be a Computer Based Test as follows:
- Part A - Computer based test involving (Use of English Language, Logic, Mathematics, ICT and General Knowledge);
- Part B - Oral interview in the respective departments based on subject area/concept note for Ph.D and Masters candidates.
- There shall be No oral interview for MBA, MPAS and all PGD programmes.
- Mock examination for Computer fluency is on Wednesday and Thursday 6th and 7th April 2022.
The website for submission of application will be shut down on the 31st of March 2022.
8. AVAILABLE GRADUATE PROGRAMMES
Programmes leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Masters. and Ph.D degrees are available in the under-listed Departments. For details of each programme and specific requirements, click to visit www.unicalonlne.edu.ng/programmes-and-degrees
- Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Wildlife Resources Management Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Animal Science; Crop Science; Forestry and Wildlife Resource Management: Soil Science, Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, Nursing Science, Physiotherapy; Public Health, Radiography and Radiological Sciences.
- Faculty of Arts and Social Science Education: Continuing education and Developmental studies; Environmental Education; Arts Education; Social Science Education: Library and Information Science Education
- Faculty of Arts English and Literary Studies: History and International Studies; Linguistics and Nigerian Languages; Modem Languages and Translation Studies, Philosophy; Religious and Cultural Studies; Theatre and Media Studies.
- Faculty of Basic Clinical Sciences: Pathology; Clinical Pathology; Haemathology; Microbiology and Parasitology: and Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences: Anatomical Sciences; Biochemistry; Pharmacology; Physiology; Human Nutrition and Dietetic
- Faculty of Biological Sciences: Genetics & Biotechnology, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Plant and Ecological Studies, Microbiology, Zoology and Environmental Biology.
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences: Internal Medicine; Surgery; Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Paediatrics; Otorhinolarygology; Ophthalmology; Anaesthesiology; Family Medicine; Community Medicine: Urology; Radiology; Orthopaedics Traumatology; and Psychiatry
- Faculty of Dentistry: Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery; Preventive dentistry; Restorative Dentistry; Oral Pathology/Oral Medicine; and Clinical Dental Health
- Faculty of Educational Foundation Studies: Educational Foundations; Guidance and Counseling: Educational management; Curriculum and Teaching; Special Education
- Faculty of Environmental Science: Geography and Environmental Science
- Faculty of Law: Law
- Faculty of Management Sciences: Accounting, Banking and Finance; Business Management; Marketing, Public Administration.
- Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences: Medical Parasitology and Entomology; Clinical Chemistry and Immunology; bacteriology, Mycology and Virology; Histopathology and Cytology and Haematology and Blood transfusion Science.
- Faculty of Oceanography: Biological Oceanography; Chemical Oceanography; Geological Oceanography and Physical Oceanography; Mariculture and marine Fisheries Resources.
- Faculty of Physical Sciences: Computer Science; Geology; Mathematics; Physics; Pure and Applied Chemistry; Statistics.
- Faculty of Social Sciences: Economics; Political Science; Social Work; Sociology.
- Faculty of Vocational and Science Education: Human Kinetics and Health Education; Science Education: Vocational Education.
- Institute of Education: PGD Education (PGDE), PGD Environmental Education (PGDEE), PGD Human Kinetics (PGDHK), PGD Special Education (PGDSE), PGD Library and Information (PGDLIS)
- Institute of Oceanography: PGD Fisheries and Aquaculture; PGD Coastal Zone Management; PGD Marine Ecology, Toxicology & Pollution Studies
- Institute of Public Policy and Administration: PGD Public Administration (PGDPA); PGD Peace Studies and Conflict Management (PGDPSCM); Policy and Administrative Studies (MPAS)
- National Water Resources Capacity Building Network Centre.
Admission I Available Programmes:
Issues with Online Forms:
08183626190, 08064439182, 07064215158 E-Mail: [email protected] and secretarygraduateschoolunicatedu.ng. Also call the number on the last page of the Faculty publication for inquiry. All calls must be between 9.00a.m. and 4.00p.m.
Mr. Gabriel O. Egbe, fcai
Registrar, University of Calabar