Madonna University, Nigeria is the first Private Catholic University in the West African Region and the First Private University to be approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Madonna University Nigeria commenced full Academic Programmes in 1999. This noble Institution was founded by Very Rev. Fr. Prof. EMP. Edeh CSSP OFR.
With the University starting first in Okija which was her take-off campus, the University’s main campus was relocated to Elele, Rivers State, in 2004. The University’s third campus located in Akpugo; Enugu State came into operation in 2011.
The Governing Council of Madonna University, Nigeria hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and distinguished scholars of the rank of Professor with cognate experience in University teaching, research and administration for the position below:
Job Title: Vice Chancellor
Location: Elele, Rivers
- The Vice Chancellor of Madonna University, Nigeria, under the direction of the University Governing Council, is the academic head and chief executive officer of the University responsible for leadership, management and development of the University, and spearheading the realization of its vision and mission.
- The candidate for the post of Vice-Chancellor must be a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic, industrial or government service experience. Specifically the candidates shall be expected to be:
- A person of character and courage without criminal record(s)
- A professor of good standing who understands the contemporary demands of leadership of University.
- A person with wide academic and administrative experience in the University, government and industry, and be capable of giving dynamic leadership to the University.
- A successful scholar with Ph.D. or Medical Fellowship in his chosen discipline and well rooted in the finest academic traditions.
- A person that has other experiences outside the University and ensures that meritocracy is followed at all times.
- A person that recognizes and respects gender sensitivity.
- A person with good grapes of information and communication technology skills appreciates its significance in the contemporary knowledge industry and ICT driven society.
- A person of courage, but humane, who can take decisive action on the merit of facts and principles and not on the basis of sentiments or pressure from individuals and groups.
- A person that can link quality research to industry so as to promote innovation.
- A person that possesses high reputation nationally and internationally and be able to command the respect of national and international academic communities through his or her track records.
- A person with strong leadership qualities so as to successfully lead a group of well- informed and articulate academic community.
- A person who possesses ability to create the needed bridges between staff and students, on the one hand, and the Community on the other hand, and one who is also above petty ethnic, religious, local loyalties and biases.
- Of good physical and mental health in order to be able to serve the five years term.
- Able to perform other lawful duties and responsibilities as may from time to time be directed by the Governing Council and its Statutory and ad-hoc Committees
- Capacity to promote and administer multi-campus University system.
- A person that can lead the University in research, development and training that address the problems of the immediate environment.
- A person that can create international partnerships and facilitates students and Faculty exchanges and
- The person should not be above 65 years of age on assumption of office as the Vice-Chancellor.
The applicant should be:
- A strategic thinker and a visionary to grow the university with regards to quality, and contribution to the society;
- An individual who is comfortable with change management and has a proven track record as a leader who creates successful teams that generate measurable outcomes;
- A person with enthusiasm and energy and good at mobilizing resources;
- An excellent communicator and listener with a broad range of contacts and known in academic circles for excellence in academics with a prolific research output.
The Candidate must:
- Hold relevant postgraduate qualifications that include a Doctoral qualification or equivalent, must be of a professorial rank for at least ten (10) years and must have served in a University or Institution of similar status for a minimum of 15 years.
- Must demonstrate a track record of outstanding achievement in an academic discipline and be an internationally recognized academic with a track record in academic achievements reflected in extensive peer-review publications including publications within the last 3 years.
- Have a successful record of academic leadership and management and/or business achievement, including significant and demonstrably successful experience in managing change, people and financial resources, through leadership and management of a significant academic unit.
- Experience as Dean and/or Deputy Vice Chancellor will be recognized.
- Demonstrate a proven capacity for strategic thinking and planning.
- Understands the tertiary education system and its policy environment, and how to respond effectively to this environment.
- Have the credibility, experience and judgement to operate effectively at a senior level in a University setting.
- Must have a broad range of international contacts and show an ability to identify and develop partnership and business development opportunities.
- Demonstrate experience and has a track record in mobilizing resources.
- Have the ability to work at pace and under pressure.
- Have sound communication skills, and the ability to inspire the work of faculty and other staff.
- Possess highly developed skills in decision-making, persuasion, influencing and negotiation.
Terms of Appointment
The appointment which is full time, shall be for Five (5) years only.
Salary and Fringe Benefits
Salary and Condition of Service attached to the position are attractive.
Application Closing Date
3pm, 1st December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit 15 copies each of their Application, Statement of Mission and Vision for the University and most recent Curriculum Vitae to: [email protected] and copy: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
The Curriculum Vitae shall contain the following:
- Full names
- Date and place of Birth
- Local Government and State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Contact Address with email address and telephone number(s)
- Marital status
- Number and ages of children (as applicable)
- Academic qualifications (degrees with classes and copies of credentials to be enclosed)
- Teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience
- Membership of academic and professional bodies
All applications are to be submitted under confidential cover, in a sealed envelope marked at the upper left hand corner "Post of Vice-Chancellor, Madonna University Nigeria, Elele Campus", to:
The Registrar and Secretary to Council,
- All candidates must supply in their Applications, names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) referees who should be able to attest to the candidates' academic and managerial abilities as well as their moral character and uprightness.
- The candidates should request their referees to send their referee reports directly to The Registrar and Secretary to Council, Madonna University.
- All applications not received by the stated deadline shall be declared void.