Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, gender, creed or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Supervisor
- Scope of responsibilities and accountabilities: (non-exhaustive list)
- Planning, organizing and carrying out laboratory activities and supervising the laboratory staff according to MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology ...) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control .
- Supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues / problems related to laboratory personnel and / or the material used.
- Day-to-day running and coordination of all laboratory activities. On the job and theoretical teaching/training of incentive laboratory technicians.
- Collect samples in an appropriate manner and according to the criteria in place, for further processing of sample in other locations if need. Ensure that results reach their destination timely.
- Ensure the equipment is available, handled carefully and that consumable goods are available and ordered in due time.
- Facilitate any needs relating to epidemic surveillance.
- Supervise lab consumable material and drugs, weekly order is done according to schedule agreed by project pharmacy supervisor and MTL, follow-up of daily, weekly registration books and reports.
- Ensure good storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired items is maintained.
- In coordination with the HR team to ensure the daily management of human resources for the lab team, rosters are done on time, holiday is plane in advance, and staffs are present on duty as per roster, any absentees on the schedule reported to the referent responsible. And the lab team have their objectives in line with their job descriptions.
- Resolve interpersonal conflicts arising among the staff under supervision including incentive lab tech.
- Ensure quality control of lab equipment is done according to MSF guide.
- Keep inventory of all MSF lab equipment
- Develop SOPs for the different procedures.
- Any other responsibility assigned by the direct supervisor
- Education: Essential Diploma - Laboratory Technician
- Experience: Essential 2 years experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech.
- Desirable: MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory.
- Languages: Mission and local language essential.
- Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet).
- Competencies: Flexibility, organizational skills, teamwork and cooperation, team management, stress management and commitment to humanitarian objectives and to MSF Principles.
Application Closing Date
26th January, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following documents in ZIP folder (CV, qualifications, Valid Practicing Licence, any other important document) and a Cover Letter with contact details by email to: [email protected] using "Laboratory Supervisor - Kano" as the subject of the email.
- Please note, Non-compliant or late applications will not be considered
- Only successful applicants will be called for written test and interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.