The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Requisition ID: req22375
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs in Primary Health Care PHC), Nutrition, Environmental Health (EH), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE), Protection, Child protection, Education, Food security & livelihoods. With a background of poor Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) indices, made worse by the ongoing humanitarian crises and advent of COVID-19 pandemic; the RMNCH outcomes in Northeast Nigeria could face a downturn, without intensified intervention. Over the years, the IRC has provided comprehensive Primary Health Care service including SRH services (including Curative care, Immunization Family Planning (FP), Antenatal Care (ANC), Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care (BEmONC), Post-Natal Care (PNC), treatment and prevention of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), Post Abortion Care (PAC) and Clinical Care for Sexual Assault Survivors (CCSAS). The IRC seek to engage the service of a Health Clinical Officer to support project implementation of quality PHC services in Gwoza LGA.
- The Medical Doctor is the clinical supervisor for all IRC's health care services in Gwoza LGAs, Borno State.
- The focus of our health programs is to provide integrated quality comprehensive health services including RH services and while maintaining CWC where RH is integrated with WPE services to conflict-affected women and girls in a timely manner.
- S/he reports to the Health Manager and also works closely with the Senior Area Manager for day to day administrative issues.
- The Medical Doctor shall be responsible for the supervision and day-to-day management of health activities within Gwoza LGA, including support to primary health care facilities, IRC CWC, and mobile health services in the IDP camp and harder to reach areas.
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment according to national guidelines and protocols, and ensure patient follow-up as needed.
- The Medical Doctor will identify need for referral to secondary care and prepare the patient for referral including referral notes, pre-referral treatment and arrangement of transport.
- S/he will provide on-the-job support to the facility staff, including training and skills development as needed.
- Ensure adherence to infection prevention and control within and around the facilities
- Together with the clinical officer, recruit, train and supervise community volunteers for community sensitization and outreach activities.
- Coordinate with State Primary Health Development Board and other actors in the area and maintain good relations with them,
- In coordination with the Health Manager, identify opportunities to strengthen the health program
- S/he will oversee the stock management of medicines, medical supplies, Medical equipment and prepare timely requisitions for replenishment based on consumption records.
- S/he will collect weekly morbidity reports and monitor disease trends in order to preposition adequate supplies as may be required.
- Participate in outbreak response and control coordination when applicable and carry out community-based public health interventions during communicable disease outbreaks.
- Participate in and support midwives, community mobilizers and community volunteers in activities that aim to increase women’s RH awareness and service utilization.
- Seek out and nurture quality partnerships with community structures and support staff in coordination of activities with community volunteers.
- Collaborate with other relevant sectors such as Reproductive Health, Women Protection & Empowerment, Child Protection and Environmental Health to ensure holistic service package is available in response to the needs.
- Monitor and supervise the IRC health staff and ensure that work is done properly and efficiently
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop ongoing education programs for health staff, and conduct trainings and on-the-job training for health staff.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of health staff and assist in determining and implementing solutions.
- Determine personnel needs for field-level activities, and in coordination with the Health Manager and Human Resources Lead assist in recruitment of staff.
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of health staff to the Health Manager
- Monitor staff daily attendance to duty posts and ensure timesheets are correctly filled and submitted monthly.
- Ensure project activities are implemented according to the work-plan and within the allocated budgets.
- Prepare weekly work-plans with the health teams.
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
- Provide weekly activity reports to the Health Manager and Field Manager.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues
- Supervise and regular review and revise training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
- Maintain an updated record and compile and submit monthly reports of all services given.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of health and program supplies.
- Prepare weekly workplans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities.
Communication and Reporting:
- Work with the Health Clinical Officer in compiling statistical reports from the mobile clinics for submission weekly, monthly, and annually.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly maternal mortality ratio, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality.
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition, and hygiene.
- Timely and quality health care services to displaced persons, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
Coordination and Representation:
- Focal person for intersectoral integration between Reproductive Health and Women Protection and Empowerment sector at comprehensive women centers/other supported facilities
- Ensures teamwork and professional relationship between the different sectors and government agencies.
- Works closely and coordinates with IRC supply chain, finance, and grant staff to ensure activities are conducted within the timeframe and compliance of the grants.
- Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, MoH, donors and community stakeholders.
- Represent IRC during site visits of external guests and IRC head quarter visitors.
Prompt reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs.
Degree in Medicine and Surgery, from a recognized institution, licensed by the Nigerian Medical Dental Council with strong public Health background, Masters in Public Health will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 2 years post-internship experience in clinical medicine and public health.
- Experience in supervising health staff at the primary health care level
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Able to work in location with basic living conditions and with limited communication options.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: Health Manager
- Position directly supervises: Health officer, Health assistant, Nurse /midwives, Pharmacy technician
- Indirect Reporting: Senior Health Manager, Roving RH manager, Health coordinator.
Other Internal and / or external contacts:
Internal: All other IRC sectors offering integrated services in Gwoza. SPC, Deputy Director Program, Finance Manager, Supply chain Manager, Senior Area Manager, DDFM
External: SPHCDA, UNFPA, WHO, HMB, Federal Ministry of Health, other INGOs.
- Quality oriented
- Self-motivated, resourceful, honest, highly responsible, committed, and punctual.
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize tasks, respect and adheres to deadlines.
- Ability to work as part of a team and lead teams.
- Familiarity with local context
- Ability to maintain beneficiary confidentiality and respect at all times is essential.
- Professional skills to provide sensitive and appropriate medical counseling.
- Clear understanding of gender equality and gender issues for women and girls
- Ability to speak Hausa language and other local languages like Kanuri is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, good spoken and written English needed for concise reporting.
- Professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook – preferred
Borno State is categorized as security phase 4 (Red). The Medical Doctor is thus expected to work closely with IRC safety and securit team (SST) and comply with all security protocols/ guidelines.
- Competitive Monthly salary.
- Health Insurance Coverage for staff and family.
- Annual earned leave days.
- Pension scheme
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: