The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Research Supervisor
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Organize and carry out high-throughput genotyping of breeding populations and germplasm collections.
- Implement high DNA and RNA extraction.
- Carry out SNP marker genotyping using kaspar assay.
- Prepare samples for RNA sequencing and gene expression studies.
- Assist in data analysis and report writing.
- Lead Tissue Culture activities in the lab including media preparation, subculturing and hardening of plantlets.
- Keep an up-to-date record of laboratory workflows and standard-operating procedures.
- Ensure compliance with laboratory safety regulations.
- Provide support and training to partner organizations.
- Train students, junior staff and short-term visitors.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned.
B.Sc / HND qualification in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related field with minimum of four (4) years’ experience with emphasis on high and medium density genotyping, DNA - RNA- sequencing, and analysis of molecular marker data in a well-structured environment or donor-funded organization.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have basic knowledge in computational analysis using standard programming software’s such as R.
- Be a detail-oriented person that can strictly adhere to project timelines.
- Demonstrate ability to write and communicate effectively.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
20th September, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching a detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format to IITA.
- The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct
- Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.