WHO Seeks Health Workers, Patients Protection in Sudan


Posted on: Tue 18-04-2023

As fighting continues in Khartoum and other parts of Sudan, the World Health Organisation urges all parties to the conflict to respect the neutrality of health care and ensure unrestricted access to health facilities for those injured by the hostilities.

WHO reminds all parties of their obligations under the International Humanitarian Law to protect the wounded and the sick, civilians, health care workers, ambulances and health facilities.

The power struggle between two generals in Sudan and its associated violence escalated dramatically on Saturday and Sunday, with at least dozens of civilians and soldiers killed.

The global health body said since April 13, more than 83 people had been killed and more than 1,126 people injured across Khartoum, South Kordofan, North Darfur, Northern State and other regions, with the heaviest concentration of fighting now taking place in Khartoum City.

“Movement in the city is restricted due to the insecurity creating challenges for doctors, nurses, patients, and ambulances to reach health facilities, and putting at risk the lives of those who need urgent medical care.

“WHO is monitoring the health needs and resources across Khartoum and other affected cities to ensure that limited supplies are directed to where they are most needed.

“Supplies distributed by WHO to health facilities prior to this recent escalation of conflict are now exhausted, and many of the nine hospitals in Khartoum receiving injured civilians are reporting shortages of blood, transfusion equipment, intravenous fluids, medical supplies, and other life-saving commodities. There are also reports of shortages of specialised medical personnel, including anesthesiologists. Water and power cuts are affecting the functionality of health facilities, and shortages of fuel for hospital generators are also being reported,” the WHO said in a press statement.