Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119,913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Location: Monguno - Base
Contract Start Date: ASAP
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the Health Supervisor, the Midwife provides Maternal Newborn and Child Health (MNCH)/SRH care services, including Ante Natal Care (ANC), Post Natal Care (PNC), Basic Emergency Obstetric and Neonatal Care, and family planning, etc.
- S/he follows PUI obstetrical and Sexual Reproductive Health protocols and universal standards to ensure quality and continuity of care.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare all the materials and ensure that everything is ready before starting the activities
- Perform antenatal consultations including screening tests according to the protocols, detect and mention all the risk factors.
- Conduct delivery according to the protocols, precautions, hygiene standards
- Perform postnatal consultations during the 6 weeks following the delivery, give appropriate treatment and refers to secondary care when needed
- Perform family planning consultations and counseling according to protocol
- Give systematic prophylactic treatments to pregnant women
- Verify the tetanus vaccination of each pregnant woman
- Manage SRH emergency cases with the assistance of the Health Supervisor according to PUI protocols and regulation
- Identify Sexually Gender-Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment
- Explain clearly the diagnosis and treatment to the patient and make sure that the patients comply with the treatment
- Request for a 2nd evaluation of the patient when needed
- Provide individual health promotion during consultations
- Give health education sessions to the patients in the waiting areas
- Execute any action requested by the DPM, Health Supervisor as part of the outbreak response plan
- Actively participate in the good cohesion and coordination of the team.
- Record on a readable manner the health status and medical prescription
- Participate in the follow-up of waste management according to the waste management procedures
- Participate in any other activities such as vaccination, survey etc. according to the needs and as directed
- Maintain the working environment in a clean and presentable state
Management of an Efficient Referral System:
- Manage the emergency and electives referral cases according to the referral protocol by facilitating the logistics including transportation means, appointment with specialists, laboratory tests etc. in collaboration with Health supervisor
- Follow up the referred cases, and check the outcome
- Ensuring appropriate follow-up care has been given and taking appropriate action if further care is needed
- Identify and refer patients who need mental health consultation
Medical Data Collection and Reporting:
- Record accurately and on a readable manner, the clinical case management on the patient health card (history taking, physical examination, treatment, investigation, etc.), and patient registration book
- Ensure an accurate daily use and tracking of epidemiological data
- Participate in the daily tracking of consumption of the drugs and materials used from the medical box
- Collect general information about the people living conditions
- Participate in the weekly medical statistic report in collaboration with SRH Supervisor and the deputy program manager
- Ensure a clear verbal and written hand over at every end of the shift, with emphasis on specific events
- Report to the supervisor any problem especially the gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or medicines or any patient and organizational issue
- Inform the direct supervisor of the various needs
Internal And External Representation:
- Participate actively in meetings when required
- Participate in any training in order to improve the quality and efficiency of nursing cares and duties
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in pui health facility
- Scale up on the plan should be developed according to the time frame
- Assessment on pregnant and lactating women, reproductive age women to identify risk factor
- Build the capacity of the community health workers, nurses on thematic related to sexual and reproductive health
- Provide frequent feedback on health – illness patterns observed in the outreach site that require further assessment
- Report to line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Language Skills: Fluent in English and Hausa, good knowledge in Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: Recognized Midwife degree (at least certificate level) with national legislation
- Work experience: At least 2 years of experience in Midwifery. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset
Knowledge and skills
- Technical knowledge about use of medical equipment
- Good knowledge about Ante Natal Consultation and Post Natal Consultation
- Good practice in conduction of deliveries
- Good knowledge of Medical Ethics
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Transversals skills:
- Excellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Team Spirit
- Be available for emergency
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Application Closing Date
18th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: