Intercommunity Development Social Organization (IDS) formally Integrated Development Services (IDS) is a voluntary, not-for-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) founded in 2004 by Peace-loving and law-abiding women and youth and incorporated with the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC/IT/No.60576) and was granted Special Consultative Status by the United Nations (UN) Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in 2013.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Location: Nganzai / Konduga, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
The Nutrition Officer will provide support to nutrition programmes and activities to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of IDS beneficiaries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and monitor nutrition programmes, verify the planned movements and distribution of nutrition products, resolving routine issues and/or escalating where appropriate, to ensure that the quality distributed and the quality of the operation is in line with WFP standards;
- Summarize nutrition data, conduct analysis and prepare reports to support programme reviews and informative decision making.
- Liaise with cooperating partners to gather feedback and comments to support nutrition programme reviews and improve services.
- Suggest improvements to field monitoring processes and procedures for efficient implementation of Nutrition programmes;
- Support communication and activities with local partners, agencies, NGOs and government institutions;
- Build team capacity in Nutrition through effective guidance, coaching, training and accountability;
- Support technical trainings for cooperating partners in Nutrition and WFP operational practices to support them to independently implement and self-monitor nutrition activities in the areas of coverage;
- Assist in developing and expanding malnutrition prevention activities through promotion of E-IYCE and awareness raising in targeted areas;
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure IDS can quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate for the IDS Nutrition Officer job placement should hold an Advanced University Degree in Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition, Food Technology, Medicine or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years experience.
- Experience and exposure to implementation of nutrition programmes at national/international level
- Experience working in public health/food security/ nutrition related activities.
- Experience identifying and defining nutrition issues/problems within a country
- High level of proficiency in both oral and written English.
- Extensive knowledge of local dialects is very desirable.
- Experience and exposure to implementation of national/international development programmes.
- Previous experience working in public health/food security/ nutrition related activities.
- Prior experience in identifying and defining nutrition issues/problems within a country.
- Knowledge of Nutrients: Utilizes knowledge of vitamins and nutrients to understand the causes of malnutrition, the relationships between the different types of malnutrition.
- Situation Analysis and Evidence Assessment: Able to appropriately interpret the nutrition situation, analyse primary causes of malnutrition, define limitations to the analysis (e.g. seasonality) and prepare an overview of the food security and nutrition situation in country.
- Knowledge of Public Health: Has foundational knowledge of the core public health sciences (i.e., biostatistics, epidemiology, social science, environmental health, and prevention of chronic and infectious disease and injury) in order to assess a country’s/region’s health situation.
- Knowledge of Food System: Ability to analyse how food systems influence the diets of vulnerable groups and identify how and where food systems may contribute to specific nutrient gaps.
- Applying Programme & Policy Standards: Leverages nutrition knowledge to provide technical advice to governments to design and implement country nutrition programmes that follow international and WFP agency standards and guidance.
Application Closing Date
6th December, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Intercommunity Development Social Organisation (IDS) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of religion, gender or disabilities.