Breakthrough ACTION ignites collective action and encourages people to adopt healthier behavior - from using modern contraceptive methods and sleeping under bed nets to being tested for HIV and preventing the spread of zoonotic diseases - by forging, testing, and scaling up new and hybrid approaches to social and behavior change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Program Officer II - TB Social and Behavior Change
- Breakthrough ACTION / Nigeria is a five-year, USAID-funded project (2017-2022). The goal of Breakthrough ACTION / Nigeria is to increase the practice of 17 priority individual and household level behaviors and five provider targeted behaviors in the areas of malaria; maternal, newborn, child health and nutrition; family planning and reproductive health (RH); and tuberculosis while increasing the capacity of national and sub-national entities to coordinate and oversee quality SBC programming. Implementation varies by health area across eleven states and the FCT.
- The Senior Technical Advisor for Tuberculosis (TB) will work with the Deputy Project Director-Malaria and TB and serve as the technical point person for Tuberculosis social and behavior change (SBC) activities.
Roles and Responsibilities
The STA will provide technical assistance to the project in the areas of tuberculosis social and behavior change (SBC) capacity strengthening, community mobilization, social and mass media strategies, and advocacy. The STA will also assist in developing and implementing annual TB SBC work plans for the project.
Specifically, the STA will:
- Provide technical assistance to the Advocacy Communication and Social Mobilization (ACSM) unit of the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program (NTBLCP).
- Maintain regular contact and excellent relationships with USAID, NTBLCP, STBLCP, implementing partners, and stakeholders, and represent the Project in national tuberculosis technical meetings.
- Manage the national “Check Am O” TB SBC campaign, including the implementation of existing campaign channels, the development, pre-testing, and production of any new materials (i.e. radio spots, TV spots, print materials), media scheduling and buying, and monitoring, evaluation, and adaptation.
- Coordinate with the BA-N media, knowledge management, monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL), finance and administration teams to ensure a smooth TB program operation.
- Supervise the national TB hotline and implementation of the community SBC interventions - motorized campaigns, and interventions with PPMVs, religious leaders, market unions/civic organizations
- Lead and coordinate quarterly / annual reporting
- Coordinate capacity strengthening activities on TB SBC strategies and activities.
- Support the State Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Program (STBLCP) in the 7 implementing states to implement and monitor TB SBC activities based on the developed SBC interventions and the National Advocacy Communication and Social Mobilization Guidelines.
- Support the development of SBC activities at the health facility to promote providers’ positive behaviors to tuberculosis prompt diagnosis and treatment.
- Design, pre-test and finalize drafts of tuberculosis SBC materials in collaboration with NTBLCP and other relevant partners.
- Work with representatives of NTBLCP, STBLCPs, partners, and other stakeholders to share best practices in tuberculosis SBC.
- Work with Project staff both at the National and State level to ensure that TB SBC efforts are evidence-based, community-driven, and contribute to the overall goal of the project.
- Supervise the Programme Officer, TB
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Social Sciences, Health Education, or another related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in SBC, and at least 5 years must be working experience in Tuberculosis control.
- Experience in developing SBC strategies, tools, and materials.
- Experience in program management and multi-stakeholder coordination
- Previous experience working on projects funded by USAID a plus
Other specific knowledge requirements:
- General knowledge of SBC and its practical application to programs
- Familiarity with relevant national Tuberculosis policy documents and guidelines, e.g. the Nigeria National Strategic Plan for Tuberculosis Control
- Proven teamwork and facilitation skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to initiate and implement activities with minimal oversight and supervision.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
Application Closing Date
26th March, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV in PDF format to: [email protected] using the "Job Title & Location (e.g.: Senior Program Officer II – TB and Social & Behavior Change, Abuja)" as the subject of the email.
Note: Qualified female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.