Grow Strong Foundation (GSF) is a Non- Profit Organization Established in 2017 and incorporated in 2018 with registration number RC 106092. We believe in promoting and protecting the welfare of vulnerable people from all forms of social, Economic and emotional discrimination through Peace Building, Education, Protection, health care, advocacy and sensitization and awareness Programs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Coordinator
Locations: Adamawa, Borno & Yobe
Reporting to: Program Manager
Responsible for: Officers
Purpose of the Job
- The WASH Coordinator’s role is to lead and provide technical support for planning and smooth operation of WASH activities for GSF.
- This includes the active involvement in developing and rolling out the GSF’s WASH strategy based on the BAY states context, assessments/needs identified, program implementation of multiple WASH projects and fundraising.
- In addition, the WASH Coordinator will support with the overall building of capacity of local staff and stakeholders in WASH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The individual will plan and implement WASH projects, foster internal and external networks with stakeholders and donors; provide technical support to the development of funding proposals.
- The WASH Coordinator will manage, lead and provide direction to the WASH team in line with BAY states priorities.
- In addition, where required, the coordinator will support the program team in obtaining the required government permissions and positively engage with institutional and private donors.
- Moreover, the Coordinator will ensure project monitoring, regular reviews, preparation of donor reports, capturing learnings and is able to close the project and implement exit plans.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential functions under limited or basic living conditions and working environment.
- The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Provide WASH sectoral leadership and technical support to rapid needs assessments and their analysis and ensure their linkage to activity plans and budgets.
- Assess in-country resources and capacities (human, material and financial) for WASH program roll out as per agreed objectives. In addition, evaluate the strengths/gaps in the capacities.
- Implement and maintain prescribed reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the objectives, indicators and outcomes of the projects
- Formulate the overall aims and objectives of the WASH response program through development of a clear WASH strategy for GSF senior Management
- Design an appropriate overall response to the country specific needs, taking into account the needs of the community; the current levels of in country WASH capacity and the overlapping of WASH and other GSF sectors.
- Select and design from an array of appropriate technologies for water systems for the given context, including source selection (ground water, surface water), abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems and/or the rehabilitation of old Water systems.
- Select and design the most appropriate form of sanitation system (to include excreta disposal, vector control, solid waste disposal, drainage) taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs and cultural norms.
- Select and design, in collaboration with other actors a suitable hygiene promotion program that suits the local context and would be widely accepted by beneficiaries.
- Ensure and advocate for the consideration of cross cutting areas such as; gender, protection and sustainability within all WASH interventions. Also taking into account the importance of integration with other key sectors such as health and nutrition.
- Support further development of WASH interventions through the use of project conceptualization and planning skills such as SWOT analysis and Stakeholder mapping
- Ensure Sphere and National standards are considered through the program cycle and are well documented.
- Develop concept papers, letters of intent, proposals and budgets related to the above.
Management and Implementation:
- Plan, lead and manage WASH program in a phased and prioritized manner in full consultation and co-ordination with GSF’s staff and other agencies both governmental and non-governmental.
- Work closely with Admin and Finance Manager for planning and hiring of the WASH team.
- Build the WASH team capacity to respond to the emergency and development phases.
- Ensure gender and protection is considered throughout the project cycle, with women being enabled to influence decision making around WASH challenges.
- Ensure WASH program is integrated with DRR, gender, protection and nutrition as and when appropriate.
- Design and develop appropriate supervisory, monitoring and evaluation systems for WASH interventions.
- Work closely with program support functions (logistics and finance departments) for WASH program supplies and activities planning.
Information and Co-ordination:
- Provide regular updates and technical guidance to team on progress, priorities and challenges - verbally and in writing.
- Responsible for oversight of staff workplans, vacation schedules, staff training, development and appraisals.
- Represent GSF to external stakeholders such as governmental and non-governmental groups, Donors and relevant clusters
- Showcase the work of GSF to Donors and private sector to explore future funding opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout GSF.
- As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of GSFs’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor's Degree in Water and Sanitation Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Health or relevant technical WASH specialization
- At least five years of work experience with designing and implementing water and sanitation systems in IDPs, refugee and migrant contexts, maintaining sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 2 years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- An appreciation of WASH in health facilities and outbreak preparedness and/or response.
- Demonstrated analytical, motivational, communication, project conceptualization and planning skills;
- Experience in developing WASH strategy, clear and realistic activity planning; overseeing implementation, tracking the progress, reporting against the agreed indicators and managing project budget
- Experience in emergency and early recovery phases, including assessments and the design and delivery of effective water supply and hygiene promotion interventions in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Experience and understanding of key intuitional donors’ policies, guidelines and strategies e.g. USAid, OFDA, ECHO, DFID and UN
- Demonstrated experience in WASH proposal development and preparation of internal and donor reports.
- Ability to effectively present information (both written and verbally) and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field and HQ, counterparts, senior government
- Demonstrated knowledge of linking WASH activities with other humanitarian sectors.
- Ability to understand gender related challenges within the beneficiary groups
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Demonstrated experience of working closely with support functions (finance and logistics) on activity and procurement planning.
- Fluent in English.
Negotiable, based on experience.
Application Closing Date
30th September, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the e-mail.
Note: Grow Strong Foundation does not discriminate thus all gender and race is encouraged to apply.