The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
In collaboration with a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), the American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking prospective candidates for the anticipated Prevention of Spread of COVID-19 Pandemic through Awareness Raising and Livelihoods Support for Adolescent Girls and Boys in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Community Engagement Officer
Locations: Damaturu, Maiduguri & Yola
Slots: 3 Openings
Department: Atiku Center
Nature of Employment: Project Assignment
Supervisor: Report to the Project Director
The Community Engagement Officer will coordinate and lead community engagement and mobilization activities for the Project.
Implement activities to increase community awareness and support of beneficiaries in targeted communities.
- Support the State Supervisors and/or PD through developing in-depth knowledge of local customs and culture in respective project states and communities.
- Will be responsible for implementing activities to increase community awareness and support the PD and State Supervisor to enhance community participation and acceptability.
- Coordinate the psychosocial support and community based education programming.
- Engage in community advocacy to raise community awareness.
- Supports the application of training materials to selected beneficiaries.
- Support the establishment and strengthening of community based mechanisms.
- Provide support to parent groups and caregivers by organizing and leading sessions with parents on positive parenting practices.
- Any other duties as assigned by the superior.
- Degree in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Public Health.
- Requisite community engagement experience in a donor-funded project.
- Minimum of 3-5 years relevant working experience in community engagement/child protection.
- Experience working with refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Experience in Community Based programming and Child-Friendly Spaces
- Experience providing counselling services that are gender-sensitive and child friendly.
- Excellent community mobilization skills.
- Computer knowledge - Microsoft Word, Excel
- Strong written and spoken English and knowledge of local language (Hausa) desired.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the Project.
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here (doc) to apply online and submit their Resumes, Cover Letters and references on a single file to: [email protected] in a word document or PDF format. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email
- The position is local position and is open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
- The position is contingent on the award of the project to the American University of Nigeria.
- This position is for one year, renewable based on performance and continued donor funding.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status.