Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Medical Coordinator
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Improve external relations and collaboration with key stakeholders at different levels of government, UN clusters and other Non-governmental organisations in order to advance MSF OCA health priority issues in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved through analysis, reflection, positioning, and advocacy on identified health issues.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- This is an new position in the Medical Coordination office and will subsequently exist besides the MedCo (overall responsible, first responder to some projects, intersectional and external collaboration), operational Deputy MedCo (who is responsible for some projects), MedCo Support (who is responsible for staff health, Monthly Medical Report and other delegated tasks) and this new position of Deputy MedCo responsible for advocacy around OCA’s medical priorities in Nigeria.
- This position will work in close collaboration with the medical teams in both coordination and projects, as well as the Humanitarian Affairs Coordinator (HAC) in Abuja, the Head of Mission and Operational Deputy Head of Mission and the intersectional Country Representative.
- Since it is a new position, the tasks and accountabilities might change as the position and department progresses. We expect flexibility, pro-activeness, a teamwork attitude, but also the ability to work independently on long-term dossiers.
- Follows discussions and developments on key medical and public health dossiers and supports the mission’s advocacy efforts on these (in close coordination with the HAC), i.e.
- Access to free routine EPI and coverage of malaria prevention, with a first priority on SMC
- In collaboration with NERU enhance the understanding of the SORMAS NCDC surveillance as well as the MOH outbreak preparedness
- Relevant medical guidelines, including national SGBV guidelines (tbc)
- Nutrition protocols & policies by state and federal MoH
- Noma dossier at national level (in close coordination with Sokoto project).
- Understand the health expenditure in general but with focus on the states with OCA presence
- Antibiotic Resistance (AMR)
- Represents/ participates on behalf of OCA in relevant technical and coordination meetings with Nigerian health authorities.
- Supports the mission in its ambition to enhance information sharing with and advocacy towards local, state and federal authorities. Ensures engagement with health authorities at different levels is well coordinated.
- Works in close coordination on the medical dossiers with the other OCs and CR.
- In close collaboration with HAC, supports updating of (intersectional) advocacy strategies on medical dossiers.
- In close collaboration with HAC, maintains strong working relationship and identifies opportunities for engagement/collaboration with key non-governmental public health stakeholders such UNICEF, UNCHR, WHO, PMI etc. on identified public health issues
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria
Essential Degree in Medicine or other Paramedical studies. Training in tropical medicine or Public Health will be an asset
- Essential 2 years’ experience in relevant jobs, in MSF or other NGOs in Nigeria. Person needs to understand the Nigerian health system in detail and needs to know how to navigate in different government bodies.
- S/he needs to have a network at the Ministry of Health, preferably at both northern States and at Federal level
English language essential
Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel & Internet)
Strategic Vision, Leadership, People management & Development, Service Orientation, Team work and Cooperation
N880,340 / month.
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2023 (Deadline is 5:00pm).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Submit their CV, Cover Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of only necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) to: [email protected] using "DEP MEDCO" as the subject of the mail.
- Only one application should be submitted as multiple applications will not be considered.
- Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
- Lastly, only one online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will not be considered.
- This job description may be amended in line with the activities or evolution of the Mission.
- NO Transportation and NO per diems will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.