The Attention of the leadership of the above Association has been drawn to a publication by THE CREST Newspaper Vol 2 No. 26 dated 20th June, 2022 publishing an unverified and false article titled “YOUTHS INVADE LEPROSY HOSPITAL ETINAN, RAPE NURSES, INMATE DESTROY PROPERTIES”.
The Association hereby state categorically as follows:
1. That NO NURSE WAS RAPED during the unfortunate May 9, 2022 incident at QIC Leprosy Hospital Ekpene Obom, Etinan
2. That following the incidence that threatened the safety and security of Nurses working in the facility, the Association had directed her members forthwith to report to appropriate Government agencies and stay at home until security measures are put in place to restore peace and order, which has been fully complied with
3. That the Leadership of the Association frowns at and condemns in strong terms the unprofessional and unverified falsehood published by the Crest Newspaper whose slogan is claimed to be PASSION AND TRUTH but have acted ironically in portraying character defamation in their publication about Nurses as referred above.
4. It was noted that the attackers looted and carted away with personal items of Nurses, mission staff and leprosy patients worth millions of naira while the nurses escaped to the nearby bush for safety till the morning of the following day where they sustained various degrees of injury. Drastic steps are being taken by the Association to ensure that our affected members are adequately compensated according to the employee compensation act of 2010.
5. Therefore, the entire Nurses and the general public should disregard the fake caption of “NURSES BEING RAPED”.
6. The Association by this press release demands that The Crest Newspaper sends a written apology to the Association and debunk this false article and publish it on the front page of their next paper within 72hrs of this press release or face legal actions.
Accept the best regards of the State Leadership.
Comrade Sikpi Linus
Assistant General Secretary