We are seeking to appoint two full-time PhD Fellows to carry out new projects on cancer genetics. This exciting project includes laboratory and field studies and will be based primarily at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, with opportunities for international training.
Prospective candidates must:
- Have MSc/Mphil in Genomics, Molecular Biology, Population Genetics or Computational Biology or related research experience in these fields and a record of high-quality publication(s) in peer-reviewed journals.
- Be a highly motivated individual interested in pursuing rigorous genomics and bioinformatics research.
- Be committed to a long-term research career in human genetics.
- Be a person of integrity and have an eye for details.
- Have prior research experience in genomics, computational biology and/or overseas lab experience.
- Be able to use R and/or Python for data analysis and graphics.
- Successful fellows will be expected to:
- Conduct high quality research leading to publications in high-impact journals (must be ready to work very hard towards
- publishing a minimum of two quality papers per year).
- Contribute to research capacity building including training of undergraduate and MSc students in the Principal Investigator’s (PI) group.
The PI is supported with research grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US National Institutes of Health. The PI will support the successful PhD Fellows for 3 years in the first instance, with the possibility of a competitive postdoctoral position based on performance and availability of additional funds.
Funds will cover:
- Monthly salary
- Research supplies and reagents
- Conference attendance
- Other research-related costs such as visit to collaborator’s laboratory
- PhD tuition for three years.
- PI will compete for additional funding for the Fellow’s international training and career development.
Applications from under-represented researchers are strongly encouraged. Applicants with MBBS degree or exceptional candidates coming directly from BSc studies may be considered.
Applicants who are interested should fill the application form.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Closing date for applications: 14th December, 2021
Expected start date: 1st February, 2022
For further inquiries please contact:
1. Dr Adesola Musa
2. Dr Oluwagbemiga Aina
3. Dr Olusola Ajibaye
4. Dr Kolapo Oyebola