The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
In collaboration with a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), the American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking prospective candidates for the anticipated Prevention of Spread of COVID-19 Pandemic through Awareness Raising and Livelihoods Support for Adolescent Girls and Boys in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Social Engagement / Welfare Officer
Location: Maiduguri or Yola
Department: Atiku Center
Nature of Employment: Project Assignment
Supervisor: Report to the Project Director
The Social Engagement/Welfare Officer shall coordinate and lead community engagement and mobilization activities for the response programmes in line with International minimum standards in Northeast Nigeria.
- Develop and implement a social media strategy
- Coordinate the psychosocial support and community-based protection programming interfacing with other programme team members.
- Support the strengthening of child protection community-based systems inclusive of developing trainings, supervision/coaching tools, monitoring, and tracking tools and improve referral systems.
- Conduct and supervise training with men and boys, women and girls on social norms change.
- Support the establishment and strengthening of community-based mechanisms and groups including adolescent peer groups, child protection committees, children’s clubs, parent groups and informal foster caregivers.
- Design and facilitate community mobilization/sensitization campaigns in collaboration with Community Engagement Workers, Community Based Protection Mechanisms, and children/adolescents.
- Perform any other project related duties as specified by the Child Protection in Emergencies Specialist
- Ensure beneficiaries are informed and regularly reminded about their entitlements from the project, and the confidential complaints mechanisms;
- Support resource mobilization efforts by participating in rapid assessments, project reviews and related tasks that will ensure adequate information for proposal development.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in Social Science, Social Work, Psychology, Public Health, or related fields
- Minimum of 3-5 years relevant working experience in child protection prevention and response programming, humanitarian affairs or human rights.
- Experience working in emergency settings with refugees and other vulnerable populations (ideal)
- Previous experience directly providing services to children at risk and victims of abuse.
- Strong experience providing counselling services that are gender-sensitive and child friendly.
- Ability to work individually and within a team with limited supervision. A self-starter.
- Strong command of both written and spoken English and knowledge of local language (Hausa) strongly desired.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the Project.
Application Closing Date
26th May, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here (doc) to apply online and submit their Resumes, Cover Letters and references on a single file to: [email protected] in a word document or PDF format. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email
- The position is local position and is open to indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria.
- The position is contingent on the award of the project to the American University of Nigeria.
- This position is for one year, renewable based on performance and continued donor funding.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, colour, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status.