COMMUNIQUE ISSUED BY THE YOUNG MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS FORUM (YMLSF) FCT BRANCH, AT THE END OF HER FOUR-DAY WORKSHOP ON MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS, SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING, SUB-THEMED: "MOLECULAR DIAGNOSIS, CAPACITY BUILDING, ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT: A PANACEA FOR GROWTH AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT FOR EMERGING MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTISTS," HELD AT AMLSN HOUSE, DURUMI PHASE 1, ABUJA FCT, FROM 07 - 10 JUNE, 2022
Having had a fulfilled scientific interactive sessions with leading authorities in various fields of Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria, and having deliberated on burning issues affecting our profession with informed bias on Young Medical Laboratory Scientists of FCT branch, we the membership of the Young Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (YMLSF) FCT Branch hereby make public the detailed summary of our discussions thus:
- Molecular biology is the future of Medical Laboratory Science and all Young Medical Laboratory Scientists are encouraged to key into it and lead the way in making this goldmine of our profession the new normal.
- We agreed that to make the best audacious inroad into the field of molecular diagnosis, every Medical Laboratory Scientist is expected to imbibe QMS knowledge and exhibit same at every step of his/her practice of the profession.
- It is by taking the front seat in manning this developing aspect of our profession that we can automatically repel extra-professional encroachments into our dear profession.
- We noted with dismay the low rating which our license have among the comity of healthcare professionals. This is worrisome considering the threat it poses to future of this profession. The workshop ended with a note of exhortation to all Young Medical Laboratory Scientists to sit up and add value to themselves and consequently their license by maintaining cutting-edge professionalism, ethical practices and wrestling out quackery in its many guises.
- The conference notes with utmost concern the poor patronage of scientists in Laboratory logistics and supply chain management which is increasingly becoming a speciality in our profession. Therefore, having exposed the participants to the integral gains of logistics and supply chain management in our profession, we make a passionate appeal to all our members to seize the opportunities offered by knowledge obtained from the workshop sessions and expertise of our resource persons and cash into this lucrative sub-field of our profession.
- After a comprehensive discussions on the imports of Bioinformatics, Data Science, and genomics in Laboratory practice, the conference exhorts its participants to venture into LIMS and Data Science technology for the future of our profession rests on them.
- In the interest of our professional growth, we held a Panelist session to discuss on two broad topical issues bound in one:
"The disconnect between AMLSN and MLSCN and MLS" and the "Impact of lack of intra professional synergy on the growth and development of YMLS in the midst of a dwindling economy."
This session was moderated by ITV broadcast crew.
After making their cases, the panelists agreed thus:
AMLSN, MLSCN and MLS must join hands to fight quackery, over taxation of the YMLS and add value to our licenses and profession.
The workshop was rounded off with a hands-on training on PCR.
As we drew the cotton on the program, we appreciate all who helped in making it a success, worthy of special mention is our Chief host, and AMLSN FCT Branch Chairman, Dr. Okechukwu Chuks Ironkwe, DCL Ltd, Labcrest Laboratories, and Everight Diagnostics Ltd.
Thanks and remain blessed.
Sct. Aleke Chukwudi.
YMLSF FCT Branch.
Sct. Bolanle Esther A.