World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant to revise and update the National Action Plan for Antimicrobial Resistance (NAP 2.0) in Nigeria
Ref No: 2300652
Contractual Arrangement: External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): 6 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
- Nearly 5 million human deaths were estimated to be associated with AMR worldwide, in 2019 as per study by Global Research on Antimicrobial Resistance which also highlighted an estimated death rate in Western sub-Saharan Africa at 27.3 deaths per 100,000 compared to global 16 deaths per 100,000 directly due to AMR.
- The AMRCC and WHO-Nigeria agreed to support technically and financially some of the critical and major gaps identified in the process to develop national 2023-2028 One-health AMR national action plan. A national consultant will be hired by WHO-Nigeria to support in developing comprehensive situational analysis report by collecting and compiling data from different sources of AMR and in coordination with NAP-2.0 development secretariat and WHO CC / One Health Trust and other MDAs to revise NAP-2.0. During the process activities including prioritisation, costing and budgeting is supported through one health approach. The consultant will also assist AMRCC and development committee in ensuring whole of government response to tackle AMR through coordinated efforts between numerous stakeholders.
- The consultant will work under guidance of WHO-Technical Officer, AMR and in close collaboration with the NAP 2.0 national development committee and its secretariat for proper coordination, timely delivery of results.
- The national One Health-AMR NAP-2.0 development committee of Nigeria is constituted and have already identified five strategic objectives aligned with WHO GAP and NAP -1.0 of the country as below:
- Improve awareness and understanding of AMR through education and training
- Strengthen knowledge and evidence base through surveillance and research
- Reduce the incidence of infection in health facilities, farms and food industry premises through effective hygiene, IPC & other measures
- Optimize the use of antimicrobial medicines in human and animal health
- Develop the economic case for sustainable investment that takes account of the needs of the country, and increase investment in new medicines, diagnostic tools, vaccines, and other interventions
The consultant will develop comprehensive situation analysis as baseline assessment of current context for NAP 2.0 development including coordination with AMRCC, national NAP-2.0 development committee, and WHO to ensure NAP-2.0 operational plan is costed, and prioritised. For this purpose, consultant will engage and coordinate with NAP 2.0 development committee secretariat and organise online or physical or hybrid consultations or workshops as needed.
The consultant is expected to:
- Conduct a desk review existing AMR documents, reports and available information from different sources to develop a comprehensive situation analysis report including the recent evaluation report for NAP-1.0.
- Collect, compile, and include data from different surveys, surveillance, and research relevant to five strategic objectives of NAP-2.0 in situation analysis report
- Revise and update a roadmap with a clear work plan to the NAP 2.0 development committee of Nigeria.
- Finalize the comprehensive situation analysis draft report with inputs from experts, NAP-2.0 development committee, other stakeholders and submit the final version.
- Under the coordination of the Nigeria WCO, engage with national technical working group, other experts, WHO Collaborating centre and relevant multisectoral coordination mechanisms to support the processes of training and costing and budgeting of the AMR NAP 2.0.
- Facilitate stakeholder workshops as requested by NAP-2.0 development committee and to assist committee and other consultants in development of draft NAP 2.0.
- Assist and coordinate quadripartite M&E Teams (WHO, FAO, WOAH and UNEP) in the development of the M&E framework for Nigeria
- Facilitate organisation of leadership skills training workshop for Multisectoral Coordination which will guide development, prioritization, and finalization of the NAP2.0 in consultation with NAP -2.0 development committee and WHO.
- Perform any other activities as may be required.
- Biweekly updates on the progress of work as outlined above.
- Comprehensive situational analysis report as baseline assessment including milestones and targets in line with NAP-2.0 strategic objectives as key document to develop NAP-2.0 version through one health approach.
- Meeting/ consultation/ workshop notes for record, draft reports, documentation of process, power point presentations as needed.
- Specific reports in support of AMR NAP-2.0
- Development of summary report from the leadership skills trainings workshop
- Coordination mechanism and its documentation
- Organize and support costing and budgeting training and actual costing of the prioritized activities of the NAP 2.0 using the WHO Costing and Budgeting Tool.
- Monitoring and evaluation framework including indicators draft report
- Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Languages
Post graduate Degree in Public Health, Health Economics, Animal Health, Environmental Health, or other related fields
PhD in Public Health, Health Economics, Animal Health, Environmental Health, or other related fields
He/ She must be:
- A professional experience of at least seven years.
- Have a good knowledge of the field (actors involved in the AMR space).
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of the “One Health” approach to tackling AMR
- Experience with the of development of National Action Plans on AMR that meets and adheres to the objectives of the global action plan on AMR
- A good knowledge of Nigeria’s systems in human health, animal health and environmental statutory bodies would be an added advantage.
- Previous work experience in Government and the UN systems would be an asset
- Provide previous consultancy references if possible.
Desired attributes also include:
- Strong skills in writing and drafting quality reports
- Could work in a team and produce quality results within the negotiated timelines.
- Have a sense of contact and interpersonal communication.
- Have skills in facilitating workshops.
- Have a good command of English language.
- Have a perfect command of computer tools, in particular Windows or Mac and MS-Office environments.
Languages and level required:
The consultant must have a high level of written and spoken English.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing the results in time
Technical Officer -AMR, WHO-Nigeria office and NAP-2.0 development committee
Location: On site: Abuja, Nigeria
- The consultant will be based in Abuja (his/her primary location) in Nigeria. Any travels within the work plan (meetings and workshops) and would require prior approval by the WHO-Technical Officer, AMR and in agreement with NAP development committee.
- The consultant is also expected to have his/her own workspace and IT equipment to carry out this task.
- Six months (180 days) period from Jan 2023 - July 2023
- Remuneration and budget (travel costs excluded):
- Mid-level, Band -B
Application Closing Date
9th February, 2023 (11:59:00 PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: