Communique of the 45th Annual General Meeting / International Scientific Conference of the Association of Nigerian Private Medical Practitioners (ANPMP) Tagged Delta 2023 Held from 25th to 29th April 2023 at the Petroleum Training Institute (PTI), Effurun, Delta State.
The 45th International Scientific Conference tagged DELTA 2022, was held from 25th to 29th April, 2023 with pre-conference events that progressed to the AGM and International Scientific Conference of the association. The event was held at the PETROLEUM TRAINING INSTITUTE. The theme of the conference ; The Andem Ewa yearly lecture, was "CRISIS IN THE GLOBAL HEALTHCARE MANPOWER: LOCAL IMPLICATIONS AND SOLUTIONS" by PROF. EWAN ALUFOHAI
The sub-themes were:
- PANDEMIC AND THE NIGERIAN PRIVATE HEALTH SECTOR: COVID 19 AS A CASE STUDY. BY Dr. A. .ADEMOLU ,FAGP
- MANAGEMENT OF MULTIPLE DRUG RESISTANT TUBERCULOSIS BY DR. UFUOMA ADUH
- THE ROLE OF FAMILY MEDICINE IN BUILDING CRITICAL MASS IN UNIVERSAL HEALTH COVERAGE BY PROF. E.B. ANYANWU
- MAKING ENDOVASCULAR SURGERY FEASIBLE IN NIGERIA AND SUB SAHARA AFRICA:BLUE PRINTS FOR SUCCESS BY DR .HERBERT OYE.
QUALITY MEDICAL PRACTICE AS A PREREQUISITE FOR SURVIVAL IN A DEPRESSED ECONOMY By Dr .Matthew 0. Anibor, Deputy Director, Medical Services/Training representing the Delta State Ministry of Health; Dr. Anthony Omolola and Dr Austin Okogun.
The event was graciously honored by the presence of the following dignitaries:
- Dr (Chief) T.EA Salubi — Former Commissioner for Works/Health , Bendel State- Chairman of the occasion
- Dr Emmanuel E. Uduaghan, former Commissioner for Health and Former governor of Delta State as Special Guest of Honour
- Dr Osagie Ehanire, Minister of Health, ably represented by Dr Omon Ekanaem — Special Guest of Honour
- Chief Francis Oborevwore, Delta State Governor-elect, ably represented by Dr Ebenezer Okorodudu (Chief of staff)- Special Guest of Honour
- Dr Uche R. Ojinmah, NMA President, ably represented by Dr Israel Jeremiah (National PRO) —Special Guest of Honour
- Dr. Nicholas Baamlong, Chairman, Facultynof Family Medicine, National Postgraduate College of Nigeria
Royal fathers in attendance included:
- The Olu of Warri- Ogiame Atuwatse III - ably represented by Chief E. lkomi
- The Ovie of Agbon Kingdom, Ogurimeme Ukore(CON)
PRE CONFERENCE ACTIVITIES
- Workshop on Intra-Uterine Insemination.
- Ultrasound Training.
- Courtesy visit to the Ovie of Agbon Kingdom, Ogurimeme Ukore
- 1The house noted the obnoxious and vexatious bill before the National Assembly that is proposing a five year post graduation full licensure of medical doctors; citing brain drain as the reasoning behind it.
- AGM noted the big challenge posed by mass exodus of health workers to foreign dimes for better economic gains and security. The present doctor-patient ratio of 1:5,000 in Nigeria is alarming compared to the WHO recommendation of 1:600. Poor remuneration and conditions of service, poor infrastructure and lack of state-of-the-art medical equipment to work with and insecurity in the country were identified as major reasons for the exodus.
- Members brought to the fore, the wrong and common practice of enacting policies on healthcare without involving private health practitioners in the policy formulation.
- Members of the Association have not benefited from the healthcare intervention fund approved by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammed Buhari, and being managed by the Central Bank of Nigeria through the various commercial banks in Nigeria.
- The house expressed members commitment towards achieving Universal Health Coverage in Nigeria by the year 2030 but are not happy that government has continued to disregard the important roles of the Private Sector in achieving the goal.
- Despite the fact that private health practitioners are responsible for the healthcare needs of about 70% of Nigerians, investment by government in that critical area of the economy is still abysmally poor.
- The slow pace of activities of the National Emergency Medical Services and Ambulance Systems (NEMSAS) as it relates to the involvement and participation of private health practitioners is not desirable. We are being unduly denied payments for emergencies attended to in the private facilities.
- The public pronouncement of the Lagos State commissioner for health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, where he erroneously claimed that the MB;BS degree does not empower doctors to perform surgeries was deliberated on at the conference.
1. We condemn in totality the proposed bill before the national assembly preventing doctors from getting full license to practice until after five years of graduation.
2. In order to mitigate the problem of exodus of health workers from Nigeria, we recommend as follows;
- Increase in remuneration and condition of service for health care workers and pay promptly to avoid strikes
- Improve infrastructures in our health facilities
- Implement the WHO recommended budgetary allocation for health.
- Improve security of lives and properties in the country.
- Full implementation of the NHIA Act 2022.
3. Government as a matter of urgency should begin to involve ANPMP in policy formulation that involve healthcare.
4. We urge the CBN to simplify the processes that are involved in accessing the CBN INTERVENTION FUND FOR THE HEALTHCARE SECTOR.
5. In order to achieve Universal health coverage, government should collaborate fully with the private health sector practitioners towards making primary health care the bedrock of health care delivery system.
6. Private doctors are in all local government of Nigeria and attend to over 70% of the populace, there is therefore need for financial assistance by a way of single digit interest loans or grants, by government and multinational organizations.
7. We demand a workable criteria to enable private doctors fully participate and benefit from the National Emergency Medical Services and Ambulance System (NEMSAS).
8. The report on the Presidential health reform committee meeting held on the 27th -30th of November 2022 under the chairmanship of the VP, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo should be implemented.
9. In response to the pronouncement made by the Lagos State Hon. Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, we demand that he RETRACTS the statement
There was Conferment of Awards in three major Categories to deserving members:
( A ) DISTINGUISHED MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS (DMP)
- Chief Dr(Mrs) Caroline Olumagi Ajuyah,mni (nee Eyesan)
- DR. KADEJO Ayorinde Sikiru - Lagos State
- DR. AJOKU Chiedozi Onyewuchi - Lagos
- DR. AJANLEKOKO Dolapo Richard - Ogun State
- DR. OLADIPUPO Olayide Majeed - Oyo State
- DR. UMEH Pius Obi - Rivers State
(B) FELLOWS OF ASSOCIATION OF GENERAL PRACTITIONERS ( FAGP )
- DR.TANTUA Weba Etuaton - Bayelsa
- DR.UNUODION-ODIJIE Obeyce - Cross Rivers State.
- DR.IWARA Innocent Iwara - Cross Rivers State.
- DR.OPALEYE Sunday Ayo-Ola - Lagos State.
- DR.THANNI Abdulkabir Ibikunle Olabode - Lagos State.
- DR ADEMOLU Adegbenga Bolanle - Lagos
- DR. ADEKOYA Olusoji Samuel - Ogun State
- DR.AWANTI Vicent Chijindu - Ogun State
- DR. OLA Babayemi Idowu - Ogun State
- DR. OLURINOLA Olukayode Stephen - Ogun State.
- DR UGWU Nnanna Uka - Ogun State
( C) The National Patronship was also conferred on the followings:
- Dr. Enoma Alexaner Bazuaye
- His Excellency Dr. Emmanuel Eweta Udughan
We want to appreciate all the dignitaries that did not only grace the occasion but who actually participated in most of the programmes and for all the moral and financial supports. we are grateful to Dr (Chief) T.E.A. Salubi - Former Commissioner for Works/ Health, Bendel State - Chairman of the occasion; Dr. Emmanuel E. Uduaghan, former commission for Health and Former governor of Delta State as Special Guest of Honour, Chief Francis Oborevwore, Delta State Governor - elect, ably represented by Dr. Ebenezer Okorodudu (Chief of staff) - Special Guest of Honour; Dr. Uche R. Ojinmah, NMA President, ably represented by Dr. Israel Jeremiah (National PRO) - Special Guest of Honour; Dr. Osagie Ehanire, Minister of Health, ably presented by Dr. Omon Ekanaem - Special Guest of Honour; our Patron, Dr. Bazuaye; Dr. Nicholas Baamlong, Chairman, Faculty of Family Medicine, National Postgraduate College of Nigeria; Dr. Dan Abubakar, President, WONCA African Region; Andem Ewa Memorial lecturer, Prof Ewan Alufohai, former Acting Vice Chancellor, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma; the Royal fathers in attendance include: The Olu of Warri - Ogiame Atuwatse III - ably represented by Chief E. Ikomi; and of course the Ovie of Agbon Kingdom, Ogurimeme Ukore who also hosted our President and his entourage at his palatial palace during the pre-conference.
We want to appreciate all the participants at this year's AGC/AGM. special appreciations to all our spouses ably led by their president, Mrs. Olubukola Adesola, for their dazzling presence and the initiative of donating freezer, television set, food stuff and adopting children at an orphanage in Warri.
Finally, the State Chairman, Dr. Clement Emudainohwo-led LOC ably assisted by Dr. Chief Mrs. Ajuyah mni, Dr. Luckys Okparanyote and several others. You made us proud and on behalf of our enture members, we are grateful.
Kay A. Adesola, FAGP
Dr. Ned Okoro, FAGP
Dr. Olumuyiwa Ajanaku, FAGP